All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. shorter

Point Cloud Referencing

Now that’s where I do not agree... Due to the utter rubbish we are usually sent via DWG and IFC both should be imported first, cleaned up and then referenced.
  3. I very much agree with this wish. We are a long time Revit firm and lately I've been looking at other options for us. Revit is great, but also complex and expensive (especially with the new subscription model). I find there is a lot to like about Vectorworks and have fun with the software. I do have concerns though regarding the graphics. They can be a little "glitchy" and updating the viewports in hidden line slows down the production process. More importantly though, I feel it creates the impression that the software is a little outdated. Other systems feel much more fluid as you jump from view to view giving the user a more modern and enjoyable experience. I have no doubt the Vectorworks team is aware of this and sincerely applaud the hard work they put into each release. Hopefully this gets worked out soon. All that said, V2020 is a big improvement for us. On our Mac and PC computers the hidden line update times are greatly improved. Keep up the good work!
  4. Mik

OpenGL died

I created a new file, copy/pasted only the relevant things from the old file to new, and fixed a bunch of things that broke from the copy. (Alignment seems to break for some things like columns, some plumbing fixtures, 2d objects, etc.) Everything was running smoothly until I started messing with the door that is highlighted in the first screen shot. The problem wasn't coming from Microsoft's coincidental update or drivers, etc., it was that door. I had been experimenting with a lintel and noticed when I made changes to the thickness or protrusion that it would remove the door from the wall. It was still in the same location but it was no longer identified as "Door In Wall" in the OIP. I would try to pull it out and replace in the wall unsuccessfully. Undoing the changes would get back to "Door In Wall" but would sometimes leave the changes I made to the lintel intact anyway. I originally ignored the annoying pop out since it seemed to get the changes in place despite using Undo. Once this happens, however, I notice that the door will not highlight under the mouse at all from any view. But if you click on it, you can select it. Anyway, after running into this door popping out problem, the strange disappearing act of views from left to front quadrant return and OpenGL looked wonky again. I have now gone to a backup from before the door changes. Things are fine and have now made several modifications to the door and it has not flipped out yet. Crossing my fingers because I need to finish this to meet with client. But hope VW people are going to look into this. While working with my door, I am stymied by another VW limitation: muntin options available for door transoms are less than regular windows. In fact, muntins in general for VW are limited to a sort of elementary "popular" set of options. Often standard product orders just can't be created w/VW. I have to go manually draw lines all over elevation sheets which takes time while perspective views are just about off the table. We need the ability to set muntins wherever we like - which leads me back to a previous complaint I posted about the disappearing element of an intuitive WYSIWYG interface to VW. Why not just show the window/door diagram in the settings box and give us the option to visually lay out the muntins? We can move around till we like and/or place by measurement entries. (This includes curves as well as straight lines.)
  5. Today
  6. zoomer

Point Cloud Referencing

I agree, basically the same thing as with DWG imports. I think from history, VW was never that dependent from Referencing like Autocad or Microstation. It had more an "all in one File" logic. Although Referencing was there. As Reference options accelerated over the last years, it may be likely that they will allow Point Cloud Referencing at one point too.
  7. Don Seidel

VW on iPad ? Yes, it's Real !

After decades of wishing VW comes to the iPad ! (I posted a photoshopped image of MiniCad on an Apple Newton 2000 many moons ago...) With Mac OS 10.15, the iPad Pro becomes another monitor, wired or wireless. Obviously wired is better... Virtually no lag. The Apple Pencil becomes your mouse, and you can't use fingers on iPad except for pinch zoom. But all works as expected; it's just a small monitor. Caution: you can't (yet) ALSO have an external display connected to a laptop, to have 3 screens for example. I confirmed a bug with Apple where the Apple Pencil in that setup is mis-aligned on the iPad screen. A lot, so it's not useable as a mouse. So, no, we're not running the VW App, per se, but it's a second VW screen for users.
  8. Alvar

macOS Catalina (10.15) Compatibility

Shorter, Thanks for your response. I am not on Service Select, I will look into it. Just by way of an update, I have removed all of the cache and plists and rebooted VW (the uninstall function will not work). This has improved things slightly, the design layers are working now. It's a little slower than it was previously and drawings cannot be opened from VW only from the Finder. It appears to be be just about useable but its not ideal.
  9. shorter

Alvar, Hopefully you are on Service Select and therefore will not be adversely affected by the new OS release. Service Select gives you huge freedom particularly on the Mac platform to jump on to the latest version that is supported on Catalina and not be inconvenienced by the additional cost.
  10. Alvar

Thank you Rob, This is disappointing to know as VW 2018 isn't that old ! I did do some reading before installing Catalina but I could only find information on compatibility with 2019. I guess I will have to revert back to Mojave.
  11. Kevin C

Hidden-Line-Render SLOW with surface hatch ON

Julian, The problem which I have is that I invested heavily in both Vectorworks and Apple over 10 years ago (I now realise that it may not have been the best business decision), so unless I make the decision to change to PC over the next 4 years - that's when I will be due to upgrade my youngest mac, I will have to stick with apple products so I do not have the luxury of switching to Revit due to the poor physical performance of Vectorworks although I could change all my machines over to running 100% boot camp (seems a waste though). Vectorworks Architect has over the years progressed greatly in 'pure BIM workflow' and to its credit, it is probably one of the best on the market. However, BIM workflow does not generate income into a business, production information generates income and this is where Vectorworks falls down every time. The ability to create and visualise a building model that can have proper production information referenced both to and from it is a critical point in all projects nowadays. Clients know that we can produce high quality models and renderings and expect us to be able to collaborate with others on a level playing field - Ie be able to export ifc models that contain all the project information for costing, scheduling etc. The fact that the defect standard format in the world is Revit, with nearly all third party information being created in revit format and bloated to such an extent that renders the BIM objects pretty well useless only compounds the issue for Vectorworks users. I am seriously considering changing from VW to another design software solution, as Vectorworks year after year just ignore the basic production faults with the program and ignore the paying users who rely on the software to pay the bills, like the ability to generate a door schedule that can have internal and external doors on the same schedule and not have to worry that the guess what we construct to default and standards that are different in different countries - like the vast majority to external doors are a standard size (I.e. we have to use what is available to for a contractor to buy from a merchant) and get them to fit - usually with a barrier free threshold into a standard brick opening width and height. Guess what vectorworks cannot do this. This is just one example, also working with wall constructions made up of more than a single component - you cannot generate a section which is of any use at a detail level of greater than 1:100 - ability to attach objects to components of a wall and not left / centre / right. People will say that there is a custom setting, but if the wall thickness changes - the custom setting is useless. Another problem is hatches, Vectorworks Architect at least is (or should be) primarily a building design program, not an graphic design program. It should have the ability to produce high quality graphic representations but not at the expense of detailed building design - This is where it fails.
  12. shorter

Point Cloud Referencing

Depends how you ask for the data in the first place...;-)
  13. Is there a tool in VW that allows me to grab hold of storiess, such as walls? I have to put some kind of teeth on a corner of a wall and make a penant is not an option because it is about a corner see image. I would like to get that toothing from floor to floor, for example. Now I made it in the form of a column but here I always have to enter the height and feed height manually.
  14. Filepath Spotlight, first option should be instrument numbering right? Where has this command disappeared to? see attached screenshot
  15. Aaron Cananzi

spanset symbols / plugins

@scottmoore Works beautifully. Thank you.
  16. Amorphous - Julian

Shared Project : Changes DO NOT SYNC . Other things DISAPPEAR

[UPDATE 18/10/2019] The crazy crash plus disappearing viewport issue happened again today. Then suddenly all four of us couldn't get a file we can work with, and have to revert to 3 hours ago. Then manually copy and paste model/viewport things we did for the past few hours. This equals to 4 hours x 4 poeple's work day. 16 hours.
  17. Amorphous - Julian

VW2020 Hidden Line - Speedy Speed

@bcd @Simon Allan you may find it a shock (and I did today) that Revit hidden line renders are INSTANT No wait times!
  18. Amorphous - Julian

Fix Bugs in Floor Objects

Hi @ericjhberg I was so ultimately discouraged today when I vented my frustrations with to friend, who is a Revit architect. Amongst many things, I told him Vectorworks HLVP rendering times is really slowing down my office. He told me this process is instant in Revit I researched and found he’s right. It broke my heart. See post below.
  19. Ride

Revert back to earlier service pack

Well that didn't last long. Now, back to SP5.2...
  20. We all know by now, the amount of time required to render hidden line sections in Vectorworks can be soul-destroying. So I asked my friends who uses Revit how long their ‘hidden line’ elevations and sections take. And they said ‘INSTANTLY- just like in sketchup’ I googled some Revit videos and, alas, it is true. Revit equivalent to VW hidden line rendering is INSTANT, (with all the surface hatches appearing) and works just like in sketchup. I figured when creating a drawing for 4 interior elevations of a room, Vectorworks is at minimum 80 times slower than Revit. This is the Calcs: each elevation viewports takes 20 seconds to render in Vectorworks, and I have 4 elevation viewports, Vectorworks would have made my workflow 80 (20s x 4) times slower than my Revit counterpart, who gets this instantly. This is not even taking that most of our sections take a few minutes to render, not just 20 seconds. Nor does this take into account each time we make a change, we need to re-render these viewports. Further, if you want ‘surface hatches’ to appear, that is many more multiples of times longer. See below a video of hidden line rendering in Revit (note in Revit hidden line means ‘dashed hidden line). I have also included a link to a post, where I posted videos showing elevation viewports ‘with’ surface hatches takes 20 times longer to render than ‘without’ (6 min vs 20 seconds) DEAR FRIENDS AT VECTORWORKS: IF REVIT CAN DO INSTANT HIDDEN LINE- WHATS STOPPING US FROM HAVING THAT TOO? WHY SHOULD MY WORKFLOW BE TENS OR HUNDREDS OF TIMES SLOWER THAN MY REVIT COUNTERPARTS?? I’d respectfully asked to be spared on what is ‘possible or not’ ‘in terms of engineering’. From where I’m standing, Revit has achieved it, so in terms of engineering it is possible. Hidden line rendering speed improvement must be a priority! And we are not talking about a v2021 or v2022 priority, it is a priority NOW! We need to see it within v2020. I’m imminently going to lose staff and lose projects due to Vectorworks inadequacy to help us efficiently produce documentation. @Julian Carr @Matt Panzer @Tolu @JuanP this issue of Hidden Line improvement can’t wait any longer. I posted about this issue in August 2018, with many others on the forum agreeing. If this doesn’t get improved in v2020, please let me know in advance, so I can have more time to reconsider my position on VSS renewal for 2021 and beyond. If improvements can’t be seen in the next few months, I would rather invest my time and money to convert to Revit. The efficiency recovered in Hidden Line renders alone could be worth extra time and money. Please understand I am not being adversarial or unreasonably demanding here. My office has invested so much time and money into Vectorworks because we loved working with it. It will be a shame to throw away all the systems we built up with it. But I am talking about the realities of project pressures and business needs I must confront here, and I need to see Vectorworks recognising that and resolving it with us (and not take years). This important hidden line improvement will not be just for me - but everyone using 3D Vectorworks workflow.
  21. Sam Jones

OIP indenting not working in 2020

I tried moving it. No joy. I upgraded to build 513812. No joy. I haven't a clue as to how to track this one down. I can't imagine that he "If" test makes a difference, but good error handling for PIO templates If anybody hears of anything I can look for or test, please let me know.
  22. Julian Carr

Sorry, I meant to say this is where it needs to be if you are using collapsing widget separators. Otherwise, it can be used in different places.
  23. Yesterday
  24. C. Andrew Dunning

Really??? All of my tools have indenting and enabling controls in kObjOnWidgetPrep (event 41) and, other than the issues in a build or 2 of 2020, I've had no issues.
  25. Sam Jones

Interesting. I have always put the code in kObjOnWidgetPrep, and it has always worked. I use it with vsoWidgetSetVisible which has to be in the kObjOnWidgetPrep event, because I turn visibilities off based on other OIP actions. I will move it and see what happens.
  26. Naming viewports is also essential for linking viewports. There is an amazing script that renames viewports: sht no./dwg no./dwg title. Saves SO much time. Can dig it out on Monday if you want it.
  27. Benson Shaw

Site Model Modifiers

Doh! @bgoff beat me to it! -B
  1. Load more activity

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.