All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I did not submit a bug. If this is important to you I recommend that you do so.
  3. @Phil hunt thanks for the reply and information. I admittedly have done no research into how or if this would work. It just seems like something software would have an easy time understanding since real light definitions in industry have mathematical definitions for their characteristics and seem to transfer between BIM applications fairly well. I hope others will weigh in with their experiences as well.
  4. Generally VW imports all resources and safes them in its *.vwx file format to make data exchange between users more comfortable. Image files will be converted while import to standard PNG or optionally JPEG in later VW Versions. PNG is compressed but lossless, JPEG is a lossy compression but smaller in file size. AFAIK when importing image files you can reference these instead. May work for underlays, not sure if applicable for image textures in RW materials. But that will not help for images already integrated into your file. I am not sure if there is any reasonable workaround to get these images out of VW again with Alpha Channel, maybe by trying any copy and paste into other Apps. Or at least re-rasterizing by exporting and recreating alpha in PS. If you really want to work with the images, I think it is best to ask the author to send you the images originals separately. For Image Textures in RW Materials a possible workaround would be to export the scene to Cinema4D, which creates a "tex" resource Folder containing all Texture files. The PNGs should keep their Alphas.
  5. When you switch this to "active only" in classes, the autohybrid will disappear in Plan view Autohybrid.vwx
  6. @Pat Stanford That sounds about right. Has a bug report been submitted?
  7. Can you post a file with an auto hybrid showing this problem?
  8. We chased this last week also and found that the automatic switching does not happen when you are in Edit Group (or I would assume Symbol) mode, only when you are directly on a design layer. And I meant Reset your preferences, not rest them. Although after this week I think I would like to rest my preferences.
  9. Today
  10. @Pat Stanford circling back to this as I work...I have an autohybrid which is classed the same as everything else inside it. But, since my appearances of my autohybrid are dictated by classes, when I work in "active only" then I cannot see anything in Top/Plan view. This seems to me to either be defeating the purpose of the "active only," or defeating the purpose of the autohybrid.
  11. I don't have Illustrator to test, so I am out of ideas. Sorry.
  12. I could be wrong but I shouldn't there would be a similar function in the Windows Vectorworks drop down menu?
  13. Everything the VW developers need to read from this thread, courtesy of @jeff prince
  14. Hello, I have been sent a VWX file with lots of hand drawn images. They are high quality PNG files with an alpha channel. I would like to work on these image files in Photoshop or Inkscape, but I'm not sure how to get them out of VWX. I have tried a simple copy paste of the bitmap from VWX, and that doesn't work. I assume the Image export function isn't what I want because it will re-rasterize the image. Any help is appreciated.
  15. Yes @P Retondo it appears tp be a "Macthang" (to quote my Windows loving brother-in -law). 😏
  16. This happens to me occasionally, but I haven't put the time in to see if there's a pattern. I think it's happening when I exit out of certain tools or editing modes.
  17. @trashcan There isn't currently an automated conversion from a ProjectionViz object, but there is a fairly simple workflow. 1. Insert a ProjectionViz object and match the projection cone. (If you're saying that you're having trouble with this, I can advise on that too.) Note the Spread Angle value under Lens and Image. 2. Insert a RW camera anywhere in the drawing. 3. Set the aspect ratio for the Camera. 4. Set the Camera's Field of View to the Spread Angle from PV. 5. Select the PV object and click the View from Projector button towards the bottom of the OIP. 6. Open the Cameras tab of the Visualization Palette. Right-click on the camera you added and select Match Current View.
  18. Is this a Mac thing? I'm not seeing this on my PC.
  19. I also use "Use Application Window" as a matter of course. A related strategy that I employ when moving tp other applications is: Vectorworks > Hide Current (command-H) to dismiss the active Vectorworks window without closing the program (or drawing tabs for that matter). I've assigned it to a key on my trackball and use it all the time.
  20. Hanna N

Info bar

How can I change from imperial to metric in resource manager? My plants all show inches but I would like this to be in mm or cm.
  21. And while you can only have one criteria per visualization, you can have multiple visualizations active at the same time. So you could set up visualizations for Walls, Slabs, Doors, Windows, Roofs and turn them all on at the same time to get an overall view.
  22. Ah-ha I got lost on setting the Z height for the camera instead of setting the camera height and look to height at the projector position height. Here's another one: 100% shift Some pan Some tilt My starting point: Set the target green box as the working plane and save that as "target WP" (so I can easily check it against camera view) Set camera height to projector height Set look to height to center of projection field So far so good, but: how do I tilt the camera down and rotate it to match? And dumb question: what is the Throw Ratio to FOV calculation? Perspective: Ortho:
  23. With fellow General Device Type Format (GDTF) founders MA Lighting and Robe lighting, global design and BIM software provider Vectorworks, Inc. touts that DIN SPEC 15800 officially recognizes the GDTF as an open standard for the entertainment industry worldwide. “With this latest accomplishment of DIN SPEC 15800, GDTF will continue its growth and see even greater success now that it is recognized as a standard way of communicating controllable characteristics of lighting fixtures,” said Vectorworks CEO Dr. Biplab Sarkar. “GDTF has covered a lot of ground in the two short years since inception. We already have 35 manufacturers signed on to support the open standard and are grateful for their contributions to help build a solid basis for a standardized format that will advance the industry in new ways. I look forward to seeing more manufacturers, as well as more entertainment professionals contributing to the wide-spread availability of GDTF files and benefiting from it in their workflows.” DIN, the German Institute for Standardization, is the independent platform for standardization in Germany and worldwide. A DIN SPEC, is a document that specifies requirements for products, services and/or processes, and it’s a trusted strategic instrument for quickly and easily establishing and disseminating innovative solutions on the market. DIN's job is to ensure that a DIN SPEC does not conflict with any existing standards or rules of procedure. Now, GDTF will be a standard for describing the hierarchical and logical structure and controls of any type of controllable device in the lighting and entertainment industry. GDTF will be used as a foundation for the exchange of device data between lighting consoles, as well as CAD and 3D pre-visualization applications. The purpose of an existing GDTF file is to reflect the real-world physical components of the devices and to provide control based on this information. A GDTF file contains and is derived from the device’s real-world geometry, attributes and abilities. “At Robe we are thrilled by all the new development around GDTF because there are now great possibilities for providing detailed specifications of our moving head fixtures in a format not specific to a particular console manufacturer, but defined by a standard format – the new DIN SPEC 15800,” said Josef Valchar, CEO of Robe lighting. “This format covers DMX desk related use-cases and also includes data for visualization purposes, dedicated portions for media servers and for event-planning workflows. With DIN SPEC 15800 and the GDTF Builder to create the files online, there is absolutely no reason to remain locked to old, manufacturer-specific proprietary formats but rather use open standard fixture definition files.” “The recognition by DIN that GDTF offers value to manufacturers and practitioners in the live production and events industry is a monumental moment in the maturity of the GDTF file format,” said Gerhard Krude, managing director of MA Lighting Technology. “This signifies that the industry is ready to embrace the benefits of using it to standardize the definitions of real-world controllable objects, which is just the start for GDTF. Looking ahead, future revisions to the DIN SPEC 15800 will extend the GDTF to all parts of the industry including media servers, rigging systems, laser systems and much more.” “DIN SPEC 15800 is a good example of what DIN wants to achieve with DIN SPECs: support those who improve the status-quo with an innovative idea,” said Michael Bahr, project manager at DIN. “GDTF can be one of those ideas for the entertainment industry. I'm happy that we could support this project and develop a standard with the GDTF group. In a short period of time, we were able to develop the document which will build trust in the GDTF format. DIN SPEC 15800 will make the GDTF format available and usable to everyone. That's what DIN SPEC is made for: ‘Today’s idea. Tomorrow’s standard.’” To learn more, visit gdtf-share.com or watch the on-demand webinar, “Integrating GDTF & MVR into your Workflows.”
  24. Mine is. Check out the Object Information Palette in the screen shot I sent. In Top/Plan, I set the camera ratio after placing the Camera object (custom 1.6) and also changed the beam angle to 90° which is what it would be at that throw. Then Set the Camera to Ortho. Then I activated the Camera View. After I was happy that the crop marks matched the target object, I changed the view to perspective. The Plane that the camera is focussed on remains constant and the objects before and after a "perspectived" to a vanishing point at the centre of the camera's "aperture". Enclosed is the file: Camera Perspective setup.vwx
  25. ThermalTransmittance is the way to go with this - you can map the Style U-Value in Data Manager. Have a look at default settings for Walls under ifcWallStandardCase Pset_WallCommon as Pat mentioned. You can use the same analogy and map U-Values for Slabs, Doors, Windows - any object that has a Style and a U-Value. You can then use this data as display criteria for Data Visualisation, but remember you can only display one criteria per viewport, so Slabs would need to be separate from Walls for example. Perhaps you can overlap viewports but not sure how that would look like. See attached an example showing Data visualisation of Slabs by U-Value
  26. @markdd I had that thought too, but as soon as you switch to ortho you can no longer set the aspect of the camera. Found a work-around though. Set camera ratio to custom 1.6, then switch to Ortho, then suddenly the aspect is there. Though now the camera isn't at the frustum tip:
  27. The trick is to set the camera to an orthogonal view, otherwise you will be seeing the screen in a perspective like in your illustration. Edit: If you then switch your camera back to Perspective, the crop marks will stay the same, but the view in front and behind will be in perspective. Actually quite cool. Every day is a school day!
  1. Load more activity

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.