All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Thanks for clarifying @Nikolay Zhelyazkov. I need to put some time in to figuring out the best way to make the association. I guess it needs a 'Pick Truss' button in the OIP, as it wouldn't know which Truss object to associate to otherwise. Or maybe the PIO should figure out the nearest Truss object and use that. An evening project I think...
  4. Hello @spettitt, @Pat Stanford, The reason why this is not working is that it is being executed when the PIO gets copied from the profile group of the data tag to the drawing. But at this step the PIO is just copied and it is not in the drawing. It gets added at a later step and that is why at this time it does not have a parent. I do not think that there is any way to get this done with such a PIO as it will not get notified when it gets inserted in the drawing -> you cannot really get its parent. So yes, maybe the way to go is with a tag like object and associations. Best Regards, Nikolay Zhelyazkov
  5. Hi Vectorworkers, I have a query about modelling windows, I have come across a number of different windows that I can't seem to produce using the window tool in Vectorworks Architect 2024... I can find how to add two rows or two columns for glazed panels - but where I have a window where the top of the window has a row with two opening lights and underneath on the second row its just one large fixed pane, no central mullion - its been driving me mad this one! I have attached an image of one of the windows to see how I should be using the window tool - I'm sure there is something simple I'm missing out or not picking up on, but any help would be gratefully received. I've not managed to watch any tutorials for windows on the VWX university yet, but I'm hoping to today - so not sure if this is covered in the online tutorials. many thanks all
  6. I can't edit any plant details from either right clicking and pressing Edit, Style or from the Object Info Panel! Any ideas?
  7. Just wanna give an update on this, I spoke with someone from D5 and they told me that they are in the testing fase for a live sync pluging for Vectorworks!
  8. Just wanna give an update on this, I spoke with someone from D5 and they told me that they are in the testing fase for a live sync pluging for Vectorworks!
  9. Just wanna give an update on this, I spoke with someone from D5 and they told me that they are in the testing fase for a live sync pluging for Vectorworks!
  10. There are probably a number of ways, but your question is a little vague. Which of these shapes more closely resembles what you want to do?
  11. Hello @bguthrie, You can double click to edit your device and move the sockets as you wish. Additionally, if you are using the Device Builder you can set up the socket positions from there. Let me know if you need any additional info. Best Regards, Nikolay Zhelyazkov
  12. To remove the hanging bracket you will need to edit the symbol definition. first thing you need to do is import the bumper into your active file, either by inserting one on a design layer or by right clicking on it in the resource manager and selecting import. Next you need to edit the 2D and 3D components of the smybol. to this right click on the bumper symbol in youractive file resources and select either edit 2D component or 3D component. This will enable you to edit the symbol definition. Once you have completed your edits rename the bumper and save the file into either a user or workgroup library folder so its available for future projects
  13. Apologies it was saying it wasn't available
  14. How do I remove the hanging bracket if I am going to do a ground stack for the speakers? This is for the ground stack, with no hanging bracket.
  15. Good news, @Letti R, The bug is marked as Major and will be fixed relatively quickly. I have no idea what that means in real world time, but it definitely won't sit on the back burner. Like you, I await the fix. Raymond
  16. Hello Patrick, the file has symbols. They are in the accessories manager, not on the artboard. That is my challenge. Change the database of icons in the Accessory Manager without opening it.
  17. That's all well and good, but wait until you start writing longer scripts. Someday you'll want to look one up rather that recreate it. Either way, have fun. That's what It's all about. Raymond
  18. Thought I'd add value to this discussion: I'm on macOS Monterey (12.7.4) and my Vectorworks crashes are recorded in the Console app. You can right-click on them to 'Reveal in Finder' which (currently) reveals that they are saved in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/
  19. Check that your modifier has apply to proposed rather than existing. Also, check your site model settings to verify that it can communicate with the layers that your hardscape and site modifiers are on to help with predictability. You may need to use an open edge mode site modifier with snap to contours on in order to adjust the grade to get what you want inside the bounds of the grade limit. If this doesn’t work, feel free PM a copy of the file and I can take a look at it tomorrow night.
  20. Hi @Pat Stanford, @DCarpenter, Here's an example using vectors, as requested, and a little more, 😉, though HScale2D() may be quicker for lines. Where this method may be more useful is when you are working with a Polygon and want to move a vertex without changing anything else. As with anything, "Actual mileage may vary." Scale a line using a vector approach: PROCEDURE xxx; { Test script to set new line length using vectors. } { 22 April 2024 - Raymond Mullin } VAR H :Handle; NewLength :Real; procedure SetLineLength(H :Handle; NewLength :Real); { Sets length of line H to new value NewLength. Point P1 is the anchor point.} Var P1, P2 :Vector; Begin GetSegPt1(H, P1.x, P1.y); GetSegPt2(H, P2.x, P2.y); P2 := P1 + UnitVec(P2-P1) * NewLength; SetSegPt2(H, P2.x, P2.y); End; { SetLineLength } BEGIN H := FSActLayer; NewLength := RealDialog('How long?', concat(hLength(H))); if not DidCancel then SetLineLength(H, NewLength); { changes line length to new value } SysBeep; { make noise when done } END; Run(xxx); If you want to scale the line in the other direction, swap the vectors P1 & P2 as shown in the following line. P1 := P2 + UnitVec(P1-P2) * NewLength; Here's an explanation of the expression: P2 := P1 + UnitVec(P2-P1) * NewLength; 1) Where P1 and P2 are both vectors, (P2-P1) is the vector that points from point P1 to point P2. Likewise, (P1-P2) is the opposite vector that points from point P2 to point P1. 2) UnitVec() is a function that scales a vector to have a length of "1". 3) A constant times a vector scales the vector, so scaling a unit vector by the new length results in a vector of the desired length. Essentially, the length is changed, but the direction remains the same. 4) Since vectors are positionless, adding a vector to a known point will return the point that is the correct distance and the correct direction away from the known point. PS - If you are wondering why I used Vector instead of Point as the variable's data type, The UnitVec() function does not accept Point type data. Essentially I am only working with 2D data, and Point and Vector are similar, but Vector data types work in all of the Vectorworks expressions, so I always use the Vector data type. In this case the z-component of the vector is always "0" and therefor does not contribute to any of the calculations. Using Vectors for 2D calculations saves having to do data conversions in the middle of a script between Points and Vectors. Feel free to try other ways as mine is not the only one. Raymond
  21. Hello, See if this movie from Julian helps: Creating a Kerbed Road on a Site Model Using a Hardscape Cheers, Peter
  22. Ahoy all, Current Methodology I'm looking for other user's feedback on a methodology for Record 'Re-issuing' from the master symbol to symbols in the drawing. We know the following; Records can be attached within the symbol by selecting nothing within the edit mode of the symbol and then choosing 'Attach Record' from the POI, or via Resource Browser Right-Click Context menu (or one of about three other methods of choice). Symbols inserted after this point will automatically have the record placed upon the external container and available in the POI Data Tab. If the record field data is changed at a later stage in the Symbol Master it will not be forced to Children Symbols already present in the drawing (Agree with the methodology here 100%). The current best ways to retrospectively update Symbols already in the drawing would be; Create a worksheet summarising the desired symbols and change data manually, or; Use Modify > Convert > Replace with Symbol... and choose "Use records of substitute symbols" Although tedious these options are plausible, however not really effective on mass. The Issue The bigger issue for a client of mine currently is that the 'Replace with Symbol' method is only effective for 2D Symbols (including Hybrid) not 3D Only Symbols. When attempting Replace with Symbol in a 3D View the command is unavailable (fine). When replacing a 3D Symbol, with the same Symbol (with the intent of Record Replacement Only) the rotation is only maintained for the 3D Symbol's Z Rotation. Image showing that the Z Rotation is maintained (like a 2D Symbol) but not X/Y Rotation Although it could be argued that the Worksheet change methodology could perform this operation, this is true however taking a broader step to Record Addition, a Worksheet is unable to ADD records to a Symbol where as the 'Replace with Symbol' command can. Additionally, typically the 'Replace with Symbol' is performed in conjunction with a Group Selection (either manually, by Select Similar, or by Custom Selection) however this is sometimes not practical - especially if the desired Symbol is within another Symbol. Supporting Issues I've seen quite a few discussions on the record management from base symbol topic and think it requires an additional menu command to be considered; Proposed Solution Presuming that I'm not missing another working solution, noting that OBCD is possible but tedious (from experience) I would propose the following two options - however welcome feedback on options. Creation of a menu command which opens a modal dialog listing all Symbols in the document. An example / proposed dialog is below; A right click context menu from the Resource Browser allowing for easy single Symbol (and subsequent record) updates to instances throughout the document. However, I'm just one user's perspective from many. If you've got a different method that I've missed amongst the Data Manager or Record Commands I'd love to hear them. Then I guess I'll move this topic to the Wishlist... Cheers, J
  23. I ended up deleting the offending hardscape style so I never accidentally use it again, but will keep that technique in mind if I come across the same behavior in the future. I definitely tried this method and was hopeful; but it didn't work, so I ended up rebuilding an identical hardscape style as a workaround. Will definitely keep it in mind for troubleshooting future issues.
  24. Backup your file first and make a copy to send. Then, you can delete the sheet layers and design layers that are not needed for a discussion and purge it. That should get rid of things quickly. You can post it here and others can see it or you can send it to me via a private message.
  25. We are a textile fabricator in Australia. As a part of our fabrication process, we produce product drawings confirming dimensions for client sign off. The drawings are simple 2D drawings and we have CAD files from previous work which could be used. Please contact me if you are based in Australia and this is a service you can provide.
  26. @Jeff Prince Ooops! Yes, those are 2D polygons in 3D space. Regarding how they appear in VPs, now some VPs display them correctly; others do not. Is there a way for me to share the file with only you? I'd also like to eliminate our titleblock, or at least our stamp and signature, before I send our VW file, but I don't know how to eliminate the TB and VW won't allow me to delete the class that contains our stamp and signature. Ed
  27. Yesterday
  28. See the following post for instructions on downloading an older SP. Not sure if you are on Windows, but you'll need to find and run the Vw Updater application; other users have said that in Windows the Updater application is also in the VW App Folder, but it is in a VW Updater Sub Folder.
  1. Load more activity