All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. + this should be a general Visual Style option for Design Layers. (Some call it e.g. XRay ...)
  3. Just wondering how I get my 3D spaces to show up transparent like this? I have my 3D Boundary attributes assigned by class but the fill opacity setting has no effect on the space. If I use a Data Visualization there is no opacity option at all. Many thanks
  4. Today
  5. I keep trying to turn the symbol in the attached file into a truss symbol. It is a 20.5" XSF 6 way cornerblock. It seems like no matter what I do, I cannot get the autoconnect feature to work properly. Please help! I've tried emulating the geometry values from other 20.5" cornerblocks, but I am missing something. Cross section data should be set to ridgid. XSF 20.5%22 truss symbols.vwx
  6. You can also save combinations of layer and class visibility as Saved Views, making it easy to recall the particular combinations you need.
  7. Appreciate your input, very relevant. Although, a convoluted process,, I like the output I got using the actual slab tool with modifiers. Site conditions may cause us to add more grade beams or even supporting piers but I'm OK with noodling that through on site at time of build. I'd prefer they enhance the slab tool for sloping slabs that are not used for roofs with drains. For now, I just changed the, drainage notes to a class that is invisible to get rid of the drain info on my slab that has no drains.
  8. Pat you nailed it... I did a deep dive and determined that was the problem. Inadvertently, a font map had changed - so a simple fix for us and it's great to know that the 2021v. wasn't the issue.
  9. It appears that after working with Vectorworks since 2008 that I still don't understand how planes (or the ground) work . This is a recurring problem for me. In one file the view gets rotated. In another, my building somehow ended up 240" above the layer plane. I didn't select all and move the building in relation to the layer plane unless it is possible to do so without knowing you did it (is that possible?). That leads me to believe that you can alter the location of the axis origin on the Z axis in relation to the model. I have worked in other 3D applications and I never had a whole model move the height of the model up or down unless intentionally did so. It seems you are able to move the earth in relation to an object sitting on it or am I missing something?
  10. This event is being heavily promoted and I wonder if the leaders within the company will be using it to pay attention to some of our issues. The registration page had an area for me to list the topics I would like to discuss, here are just a few of the ones I listed: Why Vectorworks is not addressing technical support questions I sent via Service Select, Tech Support, and the Forum. Why tools such as Slabs and Hardscapes have disjointed workflows in regards to how they handle texture assignments. When will Stacked Walls with different components in the same vertical plane be developed. When will walls have the ability to add Caps(both flush and overhanging) and Footings be added. Why isn't Vectorworks University organized in such a way that we can use it to easily train employees on the software's usage? I've decided to add some of my favorite unresolved issues to my signature line, it's limited to 7 lines of signature though...
  11. @Diamond strongly suggest reading schon’s book
  12. If you hover over the area where the line is located your cursor will get an asterisk next it. This means that you have one object coincident with (on top of) another. When you see the asterisk press J on the keyboard and a scrollable menu of object types will appear in a "stacking" order. Select the type you want and it will be selected.
  13. What is the best way to save symbols in device builder? Currently I have device on a design layer that I needed to copy from a previous drawing. The previous devices were saved in a User Defined generic library. Unfortunately after making changes to the connectors and signals txt files ConnectCad would no longer work (it would hang while opening the drawing file or would hang while trying to create a new ConnectCad document). The repair tool did not work and ConnectCad continued to hang. The drawing file worked fine on tech support machine. Tech Support, recommended uninstalling and re-installing the program. Of course, everything in the User Library was deleted. Opening the original file included my original devices. When I choose to "Save as Symbol", I receive an error message "The symbol [insert name] already exists. Do you want to overwrite its content?". Choosing ok does nothing. The device is NOT created in the Device Library. Even changing the device Make and Model does not result in a new device being created in the library.
  14. Not the same issue, but fits under the same thread title... I am trying to embrace a (nearly) all 3D workflow, and m generally enjoying horizontal section viewports as I seem to get closer to the drawing style I like. But staircases are showing a rectangular line/ block top/ bottom - as if there is a bit of stair structure that has not embedded properly win the slabs. See screenshot attached... any ideas? I am currently littering my sheet layers with little white blocks covering these and various other niggles, but it would be nice to know if its just something obvious that I've missed?
  15. I know that that x-ray mode exists but if I have an object and a line and that line is inside the object's line, then I can't sellect the line. Vectorworks only will select the object, even if i click multiple times on that line. Therefore I can't select the line even in x-ray mode. Is there an option to make this possible? Other people in youtube tutorials don't have the same problem as me and can select everything without a problem but I can't.
  16. Okay, I was able to replicate how it is going into rotated view. When I double click on some polygons and poly lines to edit them, it goes to rotated plan view. I can get out of it by hitting zero but I don't rightly know why it does that. I added the file and you can try it out. Another Auto Hybrid Test.vwx
  17. This may not be entirely relevant to the original question, but.... For my work (one-man shop, mostly custom residential one-offs) I always like to stick with a) what is the simplest way to get there, and b) how does the thing actually get built. So for a typical sloping garage slab I have always found that a Roof Face is by far the easiest and most effective tool in the toolkit. Set slope to 1/4" per foot and set the high point correctly as it relates to the adjacent floor and voila.
  18. In terms of Visibility (which I think is what you're after) there are two ways to do this in VW's: either By Class, or By (Design) Layer. It all comes down to how you organize (or perhaps re-organize) your file. For instance, there is no reason that all "Hoists" can't be in their on discreet Layer... In terms of Selection (which can also be very useful), try using Custom Selection. For example, I often find that a s project progresses I need to segregate out certain objects. So I use Custom Selection to select all Red Objects, or all of a certain Class (eg) and then I can place all those objects onto a new Layer, or move them all or change them all. There is nothing sacrosanct about Design Layers in terms of how one chooses to use them. You just need to be aware about their "Z" height and stacking order.
  19. This is probably a no-brainer, but I can't seem to find out how to do this. When I work with a project, I want to work with one thing at a time once in a while. So, how do make only i.e all hoists visible? The "Active only" option for classes doesn't really do the trick since it's not including colors, info and so on since they're on different classes. Hope that makes sense. In short I'd like to work with hoists, trusses, lights, slabs, walls and so on individually. Cheers!
  20. My background is more in civil/GIS but the general principles basically apply here as well For things like site models. surveys, existing environmental items (e.g. neighbouring buildings) etc. that don't change but are used in multiple drawings/revisions I create one or more separate files depending on file size and complexity. For the actual design I create a new file and reference the base files upon which the design will be built. This is not the last item on my list, it is something you should decide on in the very beginning because you may want to split things across multiple files if the residential project is complex and limit classes/layers to just the files where they are needed and then reference these files into a main file. Small projects can be complex and large projects can be simple so it really depends on the project. I use classes and sub(sub)classes to indicate what things are and layers for where they are and layers are also used for keeping multiple options of the same thing/area/space separate. The number of (sub(sub))classes and layers depends on the amount of detail and how you want to organize your drawing,. E.g. utility items are put in separate classes, one for water, one for electricity, one for HVAC etc., i.e. distinct (groups of) similar items get their own class. If there are e.g. two options for the same area/space I would create a separate layer for each options on top of (or under) the layer(s) for the common things that are the same for both. For very simple projects, i.e. where everything fits on one or two layers, and there are few changes across revisions you could create new design and sheet layers for each revision if the number of revisions will be fairly limited. Otherwise I would always generate a new file for each new revision. It has a few benefits: 1. It prevents the drawing file to become overly complex with lots of layers and keeps the file size down as well so VW will not slow down as much as when keeping everything in one file. 2. You can always go back to a previous revision to go into a new direction for the development if it turns out that the current path is not really feasible 3. It allows you to keep track of (major) project changes over time, which may be required for legal purposes or for documentation purposes (like timeline snapshots) What I also do, separate of revisioning, is to create a duplicate to make updates to when major changes have to be made within the same (sub)revision round so that you can go back if something goes really haywire when making the changes. Just make sure have your filename reflect which copy is what. Something else I do is when creating a copy, sometimes a new copy every day, is to update the date in the drawing border even if the revision does not change at that point as that allows you to keep track of which published "informal" drawing for a comments round is the most recent one if you send one out to someone else for input during the update phase. I've seen it happen too often that people grab just any copy they have at hand to mark-up for comments and you find out those have already been implemented. It depends on whether you can use your own system or that the project owner is dictating a numbering and revisioning system. Generally drawing numbering is done as follows: Drawing number consisting of alphanumeric characters, e.g. ABC-1234 or just numbers eg. 123.45.67 followed by a revision indicator. The revision indicator can be a number or letter or combination, e.g. A, B C, D etc. or 0, 1, 2 , 3 are the common numbering systems for major revisions. For changes on a revision a subrevision is commonly used, depending on what is common in your region this could be: A.a, A.b. or A.1, A.2 or 0.1, 0.2 etc. until the process of updating is final and the next major revision is issued, then the major revision number goes one up. For example, ABC for major revisions and numbers for subrevisions First issue gets major revision number A, then updates need to be made to the original design because of whatever changes before the next major revision for review goes out. The revision numbering would then be like this A - first/original issue A.1- first batch of minor updates before next official issue A.2- second batch of updates before next official issue etc, B- second official issue rinse and repeat until project is final A.1, A.2 could also be A.a, A.b or 0.1, 0.2 depending on what you prefer as drawing numbering system. For simplicity I would keep the revision as a separate field in your title border next to the drawing number so that you don't have to update the entire drawing number with every revision change. There is no absolutely right of wrong way of numbering and file creation. Even when you think you got a good system at the beginning of your project things may change in such a way over time that you may wish you had chosen the other option of doing it after all because that would then have been more logical. (What may seem like a simple project at first where a simple system is fine may become a complex project after all and then you wish you would not have put everything in one file or vice versa if the project turns out to be much simpler than anticipated) Just create a base system that allows for some flexibility that you feel comfortable with and is not too exotic for general use. I assume you have seen sufficient drawings to have some general idea of what is common in your area. I'm in a small company as well, but our clients may not necessarily be small too and in that case they often dictate the drawing numbering and revision system to be used. For internal use drawings we simply use our own numbering system which is fairly simple as well. Project type: 3-letter code Project category (which can be similar for multiple project types): 2 digits Serial number: 3 digits (could expanded as need by either increasing number of digits or by adding a subgroup of numbers) Revision: one or more digits depending on how many revisions there may be but most of the time it are two or three revisions at the most. So it would be like ABC-12.345-0 for the first revision I can give some more detailed drawing numbering examples if you want that would show how it sort of works.
  21. I'm really thinking here about small one or two person studios rather than a large Architects practice as there seem to be different conventions of varying complexity out there. I would be interested to hear how other people organise their drawings when working on small residential projects or similar. What I mean is; Do you have one VW file for drawing up your site survey with the 'as existing' plans and elevations sheet layers and then generate another for the design stage? If you have a new drawing for the design stage; Do you then use duplicate design layers and sheet layers for each revision to the design, or do you generate a new file for each revision? Secondly; how do you number your drawings and each revision that you issue? Lastly; Do you use multiple classes or try to restrict to just a few e.g. mainly the None class? I tend to keep my numbering quite simple with just one drawing with the project number as the main ID, then a series of sheet layers for the revisions, but you never stop learning! Thanks all
  22. Hallo Pat That was indeed my problem and by removing the cr I get what I wanted to achieve. Learned something new again. I can also use Jbenghiat's tip in the future. Thanks for the quick reply.
  23. I made a movie to answer questions about the working planes:
  24. Related to the philosophical side of architecture, on the trxl podcast this week… Special guest Reg Prentice joins the podcast to talk about the value of an architect, how and why we document decisions, the network effect, how designers are decision factories, and much more. https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/trxl/id1519377425?i=1000492068230 What caught my attention was Reg's description of an architect's role – that is, designers are decision makers that create certainty from uncertainty (and needing to be comfortable with uncertainty, which software / tools is a part of). And then he speaks of wicked vs tamed problems. Good stuff to help us understand the real issues of the architectural profession. Yes, I feel this as, after many years, I have recently changed architectural firms, and nearly ended up using ArchiCAD. It is very hard for me to grow as an architect remaining on the Vectorworks Architect platform. Knowing there are parts of Vectorworks that are taking such great leaps forward and are much beloved makes the Vw Architect product stagnation all the more challenging / frustrating. I suspect this reflects the general stagnation of the architectural software space. If architects had clients / customers / suppliers / technologies forcing complex standards upon them (as lighting designers do), I think AEC software would be far more leading edge. Ironically much of the push to better solutions is coming from clients and developers requiring better project outcomes at the big end of town. But Vectorworks doesn't generally play in that space in Australia. I am thankful for the increased stability of the last couple of releases. I hope now that those holes are plugged, Vectorworks Inc. can also plug the holes in tools that have been around for many years but have gone unloved. I would love see Vectorworks Inc. to take advantage of the industry discontent that Autodesk / Revit has created, and not to be lumped in with them as part of the problem.
  25. Unlikely, but have you checked Font Mapping for the file?
  26. Yesterday
  27. You also need to take into account the PIO’s rotation. RelativeCoords can help with that. Also, make sure to keep straight whether you’re translating the external point to the plug-in space or the other way around.
  28. Caught that mistake literally 5 minutes after I posted this, where's the delete button? lol
  1. Load more activity

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.