mac studio m1 max constantly crashes vectorworks & window server

PO4

Question

I'm writing in this forum because I somehow don't get any further in the german forums.

we have a new mac studio in our office which generally is really fun working with;

vectorworks is finally fast and responsive again, even with bigger projects.

we unfortunately have one big problem: vectorworks crashes the whole system (I mean black screen and restart)

at least once per day, usually even more.

we have done everything in our power with both apple and vectorworks support.

we have gone as far as completely reinstalling the system and exchanging the display adapters (usb-c to display port) to no avail.

hardware test doesn't find anything wrong with the system.

I'd love to hear back from the vectorworks support or even better a developer. there must be something wrong on a very fundamental level.

I have crash reports and spin dumps ready to send to you.

please help.

14 answers to this question

AFAIR I had such crashes too with my M1 Mini - in the past.

Maybe 3 times overall and not only with VW but also just Firefox beside Safari.

I thought it is a first gen problem because of new architecture and macOS.

Overall, meanwhile it works as stable as expected.

34 minutes ago, PO4 said:

we have gone as far as completely reinstalling the system

If you are already gone so far,

it may be worth to also try macOS Ventura Public Beta.

Today already came the 3rd Public Beta.

Maybe it has better support for your Mac Studio.

I always run macOS Public Betas only - since Big Sur. For me macOS Betas

feel more stable and have less issues than the official version.

I had no Software compatibility issues from Monterey to Ventura.

Make a backup before ....

If you DuckDuckGo for Apple Public Beta you will find the PB Section on Apples website.

It contains all what you need.

(register with your Apple ID, choose your devices, load the Beta Installer, ....)

Installation usually asks for a Time Machine Backup.

You can install nevertheless if needed.

Somehow last time for me it said it could not find any TM Backup !?

So I installed anyway and after I created a new TM Backup from scratch.

I think this is generally a good idea after a macOS version update.

Sorry to hear that.

as a VW vendor on the German Forum said that he has some clients

running VW on a Mac Studio without issues.

Maybe you should ask if these have different configurations than yours.

I can't remember - could it be a problem with the File(s) in any way ?

Like would it work with a simple project (?)

Does it crash in any situations, even when idling,

or just when working with Viewports (?)

thank you for directing me to this post! I do not have a studio display.

I'm also not convinced it is solely a studio display issue. I think it's a resolution/graphics issue...

On 8/22/2022 at 11:36 PM, erminio said:

Hi all
I've given a fast look to various posts and seems to me the following link can give an answer to your problem

PO4 have you got a Studio Display with your Mac Studio?

If yes, I think Pat Stanford found something interesting

Hope it helps

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 minutes ago, PO4 said:

thank you for directing me to this post! I do not have a studio display.

I'm also not convinced it is solely a studio display issue. I think it's a resolution/graphics issue...

Are you running more than one display connected to your Mac Studio?

no, just one 4k display (ASUS VP28U Display). a friend of mine just let me know that they had the same issue and since switching back to hdmi (instead of usb-c to display port) it seems to be working now. we switched away from hdmi because we had weird screen issues (flickering, color fringing) with it. possibly these issues have been resolved now. we will try working with hdmi again and see what happens...

2 hours ago, PO4 said:

no, just one 4k display (ASUS VP28U Display). a friend of mine just let me know that they had the same issue and since switching back to hdmi (instead of usb-c to display port) it seems to be working now. we switched away from hdmi because we had weird screen issues (flickering, color fringing) with it. possibly these issues have been resolved now. we will try working with hdmi again and see what happens...

Thanks and please keep us updated.  I've been testing on a Mac Studio with two displays 4K, one HDMI, the other usb-c and have yet to encounter the issue.  Though, I'm not able to spend every hour of my day on the computer either.  You're still running Ventura?  It's my understanding that macOS 12.5.1, has helped many users with graphical issues.  

we will definitely keep you posted. the system we are running is on the latest Ventura beta. we have the impression that a lot of issues have indeed been resolved.

the system is in heavy use at the moment since we are in the middle of a construction project. I'm sure if it were used less intensely we wouldn't encounter these issues so easily. 

On 9/13/2022 at 7:52 PM, Gunther said:

Thanks and please keep us updated.  I've been testing on a Mac Studio with two displays 4K, one HDMI, the other usb-c and have yet to encounter the issue.  Though, I'm not able to spend every hour of my day on the computer either.  You're still running Ventura?  It's my understanding that macOS 12.5.1, has helped many users with graphical issues.  

• Like 1

I've been communicating with another user who's been having the same issue with Vectorworks 2022.  They're using a Mac Studio with a single, Studio Display (Thunderbolt).  Received this follow up, just the other day, which sounds promising:

I am not completely ready to put this one to bed yet, but we have not had any recurrences since updating to MacOS 12.5.1. It used to happen a couple times a week, and now we are approaching a month without an incident. 

• Like 1