Animated Rendering Freeze/Crash

Kevin

For months I have been trying to get a Final Renderworks animation to work. Every time it freezes or quits. A couple of times I even got a "One or more operations were aborted due to lack of memory, increase partition size". This is while under OSX where you cannot assign partition sizes!

The program will happily render up to around 200 frames and then freeze. I then have to force quit. After upgrading to OS10.2.4 it now sometimes quits the program.

It will generate wireframe and Open GL animations just fine. It is when I switch to Final Renderworks that it freezes. I have tried rendering with NURBS both on and off.

If anyone has an ideas, I sure would appreciate it.

VW9.5.3, OS10.2.4, 1ghz Powerbook with 1gig of RAM.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Kevin:

Please send me a copy of this file at dave@nemetschek.net

Do you have any textures that have a combination of an image-based shader and a transparency shader like Plain? The latest release works OK with these, but earlier releases would crash when the scanline reaches any objects that use such textures.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar problem. When the program runs out of memory, I get no warnings at all - which I used to get under system 9.x.

I found out, that the most memory-consuming for Renderworks is rendering with multible shadowcasting lightsources. When I turned off the shadows for most lightsources (all except 1 or 2), I had no problems.

Thanks guys for your input. NNA has my file and says that they are working on a solution. I find it hard to believe that it would be memory related as I am operating under OS10 with 1024MB of memory.

As far as light sources, I am using only 1 plus ambient. I hope NNA finds a solution soon.

• 2 weeks later...

We are still looking into the problem to determine where it breaks down.

Please note, the renderworks application and the rendering application RW is built off of is very complex. This investigation takes time to track down the exact culprit in order for us to fix it.