Renderworks Crashing Program

Barry Holden

Mine seems to work fine,

VWA/RW 10.0.1

Win XP Home

800 Mhz P-3 processor

256 Mb ram

I am working on a file that is hovering around 30 MB with lots of textures (reflective and transparent), backgrounds, and a rediculous number of objects. I have also exported renderings out of VWA/RW 10 at fairly high resolution (300 dpi at 8" x 10"). Over all VWA/RW 10 seems very stable to me.

Whats your system?

Have you reinstalled?

Good Luck

Hi Barry -

I have had a lot of RW crash problems also.

I think it is related to the NAAPhong issue

that VW folks need to work out.

Also, I have found RW will crash the program

if I have two textured objects superimposed

in the same space -- such as two walls that

inadvertently are being displayed in the same

location in a linked model.

Check your model to make sure two textured

objects are not superimposed.

Good luck.

Jim Calhoun

NNA Phong problem was fixed in Vw 10.0.1 which has been out for quite a while now.

If you are crashing while rendering in FQ RW and have a transparent shader set on an image based texture, you will crash. This is a bug in the internal rendering engine RW builds off of.

There is an internal workaround fix in VW 10.1 which is available now by CD only. The web based updaters should be out by the end of this week or early next week. They may be delayed due to the inclement weather we've had.

In VW 10.0.0 and 10.0.1, you can use Custom RW and turn off anti-aliasing and turn on textures and transparency. That should not crash.

If you are still have the crashes after trying the above, please send the file into us with OS specs, VW version specs, a note about the problem as a reminder and any other relevant information. I can take a look at the file and find what is causing the problem.

tech@nemetschek.net?subject=ATTN:Katie

quote:

Originally posted by Hunterb913:

I've had some Serious crashing problems....

So ya'll are saying that I have to make sure that no two objects, that are textured, are occupying the same space and that NO "image objects" have a transperancy set on it.

So... after I make sure of this my rendering should not crash???
[Confused]

I don't know about the two objects occupying the same space, in my model there must be hundreds of objects that overlap each other.

The transparency setting on image based textures may be true, if it were me that's where I would start. Now that I think about it, I dont think any of my textures are image based and transparent, the only transparent texture I've used in my model is glass, and its transparency is controlled by the reflectivity shader not the transparency shader. And like I said, I'm not having any problems.

Good Luck

If you have duplicated an object on top of itself - 2 of the same objects are in the exact same place -- the objects will not render. You should NOT crash in this case.

You will crash if you have a texture that uses an image as it's base creation with the transparency shader set to transparency.

If one texture with this above criteria exists, the file will crash when rendering in Final Quality -- only on a MAC.

The problem is not demonstrated on a PC.

The problem is also worked around in VW 10.1 until the company that makes rendering engine addresses it's internal bug.

To work around this -- use Custom Render Works. Set the Custom RW options to NOT use Anti-Aliasing and to check mark textures and transparency.

There could be other things causing crashing when rendering. TO further diagnose that, please include teh version of VW, the OS you are using and what type of "crashing" notices you are getting.

[ 02-21-2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Hunter,

How large is the animation?

How many frames is it?

Do you have any other applications running while VW is running?

In the lower right hand corner of the screen next to the clock is a series of icons. How many icons do you have?

• 3 weeks later...

katie... It's only 600 or 900 frames.

I have no other programs running and I even turn off all the icons in the lower right.

I've tried a cuople of times to get this to render properlly.... can you help??

It's a fairly complex render... it's a walk through of a large corporate show.