Glass Roof Transparency

Kevin

I have created a roof element that represents a hexagonal skylight. I have given it a glass texture. When rendered it does not show transparency.

I have created a glass rail in the same view and it shows transparency fine. The rail is made from the wall tool.

When I choose maping in the object info pallet, the glass rail turns invisible when previewed, the glass roof does not turn invisible.

VW 9.5.3 with Renderworks, OS10.2.3

Any ideas?

I feel so stupid for not thinking of this sooner. It?s something I know about even.

Okay, roofs are only textured on the surface. The underneath isn't textured.

This saves rendering time when you are putting a shingle texture on your roof.

It's no good for glass roofs.

The surface is rendering with the texture correctly, but since the solid underneath face of the roof is not being rendered, this opaque "face" shows thru the transparent texture.

The short and tall of it is, you can't render a transparent texture accurately on a roof.

So is there an alternate way of doing this?

(I'm sure this was the next question you had in mind.)

Today is your lucky day.

You can convert a roof element or roof face to a mesh. A mesh WILL apply the texture wrapped around the object and rendering it with transparency.

You can even go a leg further and convert the roof face or roof element to a 3d polygon. Set all the mapping faces to the same texture for consistancy. You could also set the edges to use a different texture for emphasis with less transparency or something like that.

Whew.

(Thank you DaveD)

[ 01-29-2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]