Detailing Sheet Best Practices

I'm looking for your lessons and Best Practices for detailing that you've found work best.

We are completing our first set of CDs in VW. Learning a lot and taking copious notes for our template and BIM management. It is certainly quirky, albeit less complex, but enjoying it better than previously used Revit or Archicad.

What we have on this little custom residential project is 50-60 details that we will pre-lay out on the sheets for organization, head jamb sill stacked, etc., once all details are modified. You architects know how a nice detail sheet is setup in advance. 

I want to be able to have these sheets with the details labeled/numbered and then be able to go to each referencing location on a wall section or building section sheet where I can then reference the details properly in the  viewport annotation. A drop down with what I have available per detail sheet with it's title in this project would be the ultimate. And then, if I happen to move a detail around on the detail sheet, it updates the callout location on the section sheet.

Not finding any good examples on VW University,  I created a Design View detail layer to place/draw my details. Now I'm at a stop.  Next I "think" I should locate each detail in it's own sheet viewport (what is the proper way to ID?) to be linked to.  Unless there is a way to do one viewport for sheet of the same-scale details, which they typically are, and get them individually referenceable. After that, I don't see the tools/process to make this happen easiest. What Label Tool to use for the details, the call out in Annotation View on a section, etc.?

I'm hoping for some time savings and not going down the trial and error rabbit hole for a week on this. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edited by Scott Schwartz, AIA
grammar

We just put all the details onto a standard sheet in a grid formation ensuring all details are drawn in a consistend manner.  what we would to do is be able to use some sort of marker on the plan to cross reference to the deatil.  I am curious on how other people do this and also how it is handled in 3D which we are transferring for on all projects. 

What you want is to Detail Callout tool, with auto-coordination:

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2022/eng/VW2022_Guide/Annotation2/Creating_detail callouts.htm

You place a Detail Callout object on a Section Viewport and then you can either create a viewport from there as a basis for your detail, or you can link it to an existing viewport.

We don't use this ourselves because we like to keep details in a separate file, which gives us more control over attributes without messing with the Classes in our model file. But I'm going to review this workflow on a new project I've just started.

• Like 2

For an example of a different workflow I do all my arch detailing in vp annotations. Often using a vp of the model to set it up.

Easy formatting on sheet layers.

No 2d design layers needed.

Easy live vp referencing.

VPs are created with a drawing label by default .

Vps can now also be easily cut and pasted into other files..

🙂

• Like 4

@Boh Doing 2D detailing in SLVP annotations sound like a good idea, but do you have any tips for moving between details as you're working on them?  It seems like a hassle to jump in and out of each detail's annotations space when you're working on related details.  

I use to have a VP per sheet layer and my drawing labels on the DL. I know have a VP per detail and the drawing label in the VP to take advantage of the auto coordination. Makes it simple if you must change order of things after cross referencing has been linked up. Easy to reference also as you can search in the drop down when selecting the VP to link. A few extra steps with creating the extra VPs but the auto coordination outweighs this. Also, once the pdf set has been made, you can click on the reference and it takes you through to the detail page.

• Like 1
On 8/9/2022 at 6:31 AM, E|FA said:

Doing 2D detailing in SLVP annotations sound like a good idea, but do you have any tips for moving between details as you're working on them?  It seems like a hassle to jump in and out of each detail's annotations space when you're working on related details.  

There is a bit of jumping in and out of vp annotations but you can set up your preferences so that when you dble click on a vp it takes you straight into the vp annotations so it’s not really a big deal. Right clicking also gives you the context menu with all the other options such as edit design layer, edit camera etc. 

On 8/9/2022 at 9:40 AM, Itchy said:

I use to have a VP per sheet layer and my drawing labels on the DL. I know have a VP per detail and the drawing label in the VP to take advantage of the auto coordination.

This is similar to my workflow except I just draw the detail in the vp annotations instead of a design layer. If you have a 3D model then it is often really handy using the model as the template to lay the details over in vp annotations. This is something that is not so easy to do if detailing on a design layer. Often when I have completed the detail I will turn off the visibility of all the model design layers so only the detail annotations are there.

Detail referencing is a really nice feature and I like using the back referencing with drawing labels. 

Other bonuses with this method are:

building grid lines will show in the detail annotations and keynotes are easier to use.

• Like 2

I too detail in annotations space using the 3D model as a template.

Actually I try and use the 3D model as more than a template - and try and model as much of the detail in 3D as possible. Sometimes it's really only things like membranes, vapour barriers etc that I add in annotation. The extent to which this makes sense depends a bit on the type of project.

There are a couple of other recent-ish threads on this theme ... unfortunately this forum has a bit of a hopeless search function but they are there somewhere....

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Actually I try and use the 3D model as more than a template - and try and model as much of the detail in 3D as possible. Sometimes it's really only things like membranes, vapour barriers etc that I add in annotation.

Same here. Often just add wall plate/sole plate + dress the Wall/Slab membrane components where they need to go.

The exception to the rule is door/window details of course, especially vertical section which is hopeless...

Great to see the range of workflow options that VW accommodates. There is an option for all designers on any project type. Though I suspect the broad capability can mean each workflow isn't perfectly catered for - hence the inventive vectorworkarounds that we all need to employ!

The method of drawing, in the annotation space, on top of viewports doesn't ever seem to be recognised by VW as an "official" method though. There are a few things about it that still don't work all that well, mainly that once you generate a PDF with viewports annotated in this way, some annoying artefacts can appear that make drawings look slightly messy...a frustration for those of us who take pride in clear 2d drawings having gotten used to be able to produce very good results in the old 2D workflow.

• Like 1