Airplane?

Thanks, Mike. 3Dcafe is bookmarked somewhere on my computer, but I can never find it or remember it...need a new system, I guess.

At the risk of hitting on something that's been covered been covered before (but being on a bit of a deadline, so asking is quicker than research at the moment), those are all 3DS files, and the last post I read about those seemed to indicate that they didn't work with VW. I don't have other 3D apps to use for converting them. Is there a straightforward way to use any of those 3D files w/in VW?

What's the secret for knowing how to scale the DXF files when importing? I doubt a biplane and a Boeing jet are the same size, but they imported as such. Without actually knowing that a certain jet is 96' or 56' or 120', how does one know how to set the scale for imported objects? Each plane went into a layer scaled 1:50. My drawing layers are 1':1/8". I'm not sure what to convert to what.

I wanna ask again about DXF imports. I imported the Boeing.exe dxf from 3Dcafe, and no matter what options I chose on the VW import dialog, it imported with a wingspan of about 40', which is not even close for that plane. This question isn't about avionics, but about how to know how big an imported object is supposed to be, and how to get it to import at that size. Any guidance? Thanks.

I think theres something wrong with the scale of that dxf file. If you down load the 747.exe and import it setting your units to "feet" you get a plane with a 196' wing span. Graphic Standards says that a Boeing 747 should have a 214' wing span. Close enough for me in the free 3-D model world [Wink]

Keep in mind when you get free stuff, very often it is not put together well. Lots of free models I've found are way off in terms of scale. I don't know why, but I know I'm not doing any thing wrong when I import (I import consultants drawings daily with no problems), so the problem must lie with the origional file.

Basically you get what you pay for. [big Grin]

If you're looking for other aircraft 3D stuff, look at http://www.aeronautica3d.com/ . Not free, but if you do a song and a dance, you'll get one free dxf. I got the LearJet I stuck in the hanger to the left of my rendering. Theirs have great detail compared to 3Dcafe--about 14K polys in the Lear, compared to the 4K-6K from 3Dcafe. Even for this one though, I had to research the actual sizes elsewhere and scale the drawing in VW. I have no clue how dxf's are scaled, but it doesn't really matter.

-