Offsetting Windows and Doors in a Wall on Floor Plans

CW2020

Could use some input on this topic. Several times I've wanted to offset (change object wall depth) windows and doors in a floor plan. The driver behind this has to do with walls that are built-up due to a rain screen assembly or maybe a passive house. I'm attaching a mock-up of my desired outcome and would appreciate any feedback on how to get there. Thanks

SAMPLE.vwx

• Like 1

Thanks, Jonathan. And understood. Maybe I'm not describing this correctly or missing something viewing this in 3D. Let's take a stock window that's 6" deep. But with a passive wall you may have multiple insulation sheets on the exterior and then sheathing (Zip Board). Now I want the exterior jamb of the 6" deep window to be flush with the Zip Board face. So extension jamb aside for a moment (lets concentrate on the 6" deep" window, can that 6" window be moved in-or-out of a wall via dimension or matching a component face (like the latest attachment)... maybe the 'extension' jambs/sills can be worked out with the trim tool or a second line drawing if necessary.

SAMPLE 2.vwx

You can place a Window wherever you want it within the thickness of a Wall.

First set the Window's insertion point in the Window Settings:

1457254369_Image1.thumb.png.1ccdc3e5d4c41f423a8b94a412767401.png

Then set where you want this insertion point to align with in the Wall in the Plug-in Object Options:

1664055185_Image2.thumb.png.8b7a98a1f14a191f7572347cfc829feb.png

The Offset value can be edited in the OIP if required.

This is in VW2022. It is slightly different in earlier versions. You don't say what version you're using.

• Like 2

This is VW2022 same as you. Which options don't you see? Presumably you can see the Window Settings. To see the Plug-in Object Options you need to right-click on the object in the drawing if it's an unstyled window. If it's styled + the settings are set to by-style, you will need to right-click on the window in the Resource Manager + select 'Plug-in object style options...'

But the simplest + quickest thing might be for you to measure the distance involved + enter this value in the 'offset' parameter in the OIP for the window.

• Like 1