Memory

AndyM

I am rendering a fairly simple drawing and watching the amount of phisical memory on my computer that is free.

While rendering VW/RW uses quite a bit of memory. After switching back to wireframe the amount it is using goes down, but not all the way back down. Each time I render I have less and less memory until, after 8 or 9 renders, I am smack out of my gig of RAM and rendering time goes up.

Does anyone know why VW/RW is behaving this way?

The rendering is stored in the undo history. Each to an action is taken -- render is one action, switch to wireframe is another action, go back to render is another action -- that gets stored in the undo history and memory. That is why you are seeing it go down, just not down to the lowest ammount. Rendering uses memory, when switching to a wireframe mode, the program doesn't need as much memory, but it still needs to retain that action in the undo history.

Closing VW will clear out the history.

You can change your number of undo's to a smaller number if you don't use as many as are listed.

Say your undo history is set to 5. After 5 operations, the oldest is deleted and the next move down with the latest action being put in the last spot. After 6 more actions, those old 5 are replaced with the last 5 .. etc. It keeps going in a cycle.

If you can live with 10 undo's, I suggest that. I don't use the program the same fashion you and others do, so I can get away with less than 10.

I don't know too many people that really need more than 10 except for the occasional severe oops. In which case sometimes it's easier to redo what needs to be drawn since going back to the correct step is sometimes confusing.

That's my two personal cents though. It's up to you where you feel comfortable. Keep in mind though, the more undos, the more stuff is going to bog down stored memory.