Creating a Class with hierarchal order automatically creates a duplicate class with non-hierarchal display

Gabriel Chan

Question

Hi folks,

Vectorworks 2022 is bugging out on me with the latest service pack update.

So I've copied some existing "Wall" objects from a previous Vectorworks file (2017) and pasted into my new 2022 file. Creating a class with hierarchal order automatically creates a separate class that does not display in hierarchal order as well. In the video, I demonstrate the actual steps to recreating this problem.

Are there new preference settings that I'm unaware of causing this problem, or is this possibly a new bug discovered?

Gabriel

iMac 2017 5k Retina

4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Vectorworks 2022 SP4

2 answers to this question

Hey Pat,

I've tried restarting the software. Does not work. It was from an old drawing of a venue that I made in 2017 back then.

So after a bit of tinkering, I think it has something to do with the importing of DWG files.

Step 1 of Troubleshooting process:

Copied the Walls and pasted them into a new file. Apparently no class hierarchal problems.

Step 2:

Copied the DWG elements into the this new file. The class hierarchal problems then appear in this new file. My hunch is that it has something to do with the appending of prefixes to DWG layers when importing them into Vectorworks classes, but so far I have only tried copying the DWG elements from the old file. Also, possibly the fact that 2017 did not have the appending of prefixes during import (might be wrong - just a guess)?

I'll need to dig around for the original CAD file for importing as it was a long time ago. Will update if I make any progress.

Gabriel