Textures...what the heck does this mean?

Cloud Hidden

It's a bug.

Please see previous posts about this topic by Dave d.

To fix it --

Go to file, open. Select a texture file from the Object Libraries folder.

Draw a square or something.

Go to File Save

Then go to File Close

Open the next texture file and do the same as above.

Do this for every texture file, and you will not get the message anymore.

To add a texture --

Add the texture file to the Favorites.

In the drop down box for Favorites, select the texture file.

select the texture you wish to use, right click or cmd+click and select IMPORT.

This will import the texture to the file.

Thanks Katie. I looked around before posting, but must have missed that one.

btw, did you notice that if you drag-select a bunch of files in Finder, and then double-click one of those to open them all in VW10, that the one you double-clicked shows up as the active window and you cannot draw in it? You have to make another window active before that first one can be drawn in.

[ 11-14-2002, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Cloud Hidden ]

In v9 to add a texture (turf 2 from Landscape) to a file, I'd double click textures from Resources, dc landscape, and dc turf 2 to import it. Made sense at the time.

With v10, I haven't been able to find a method that works. Somehow I found my way to textures folder and the find command located the landscape file (but it didn't find it till I set the location to textures folder, rather than just Vectorworks 10 folder). Then when I tried to double click the turf 2 picture, and later to Import from the Resources menu, I got the message:

"The record format for Plug-In Objects names "NNAPhong" cannot replace the existing regular Record Format with that name, and these cannot be renamed. The entire operation is canceled."

Huh? Anyone have that in English?

Anyone have what they think is the simplest set of steps to add a single texture to a single v10 file?

Thanks.

[in the "say something nice" category, I _do_ like that the Resource Browser shows the thumbnails. Nothing like having to import all landscape textures to see the diff between turf 1, turf 2, grass, etc. That said, I've yet to come to appreciate the new design of the Resource Browser. Maybe one day it will seem easier to navigate, but today has not yet been that day.]

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

To add a texture --

Add the texture file to the Favorites.

In the drop down box for Favorites, select the texture file.

select the texture you wish to use, right click or cmd+click and select IMPORT.

This will import the texture to the file.

There are dozens of texture files. Do you mean to add each of them to Favorites (or at least the 2/3 of them I'm likely to use at some point)?

If I don't do it this way, I have to use the "Find Resource on Disk" command, right? Have you observed that it is necessary to use the Set Where button each and every time to select the Textures folder before clicking Find? If I neglect to do that, even though it appears the textures folder is selected, the Find button says that no "concrete" or "glass" or whatever can be found in the folder.

Have I observed this correctly?

I don't prefer to use the Find Command. You have to know where the resource is exactly and then the find command will show you where it is within a file and any sub folders.

You should add the texture library files you are going to use to the Favorites list, as well as any symbol library files.

The favorites list is basically showing you what it did in VW 9 (obj Libraries folder and texture folders), only now you have the choice to add the ones you want to show and not add the ones you don't use.

Before in VW 9, if there was a texture library file or symbol library file someone didn't want to display or use, they would need to move it from the Textures folder or Obj Librares folder so it didn't show up each time they went to the Resources Palette. Now you have the option to add the ones you want to show.