transparancy is not very smooth & clean

Davidm

I am trying to render some giant lamp shades which were made out of white fabric that will hang from the ceiling of a large special event. The VW objects were made by sweeping a line 360 degrees.

However, with plain transparancy and phong reflectivity added I don't get a clean smooth surface transparancy. There are either splotches of solid surface and transparancy mixed together or straight lines of the same mixture.

My shader does not use an image. Color is set to object attribute, which is white. This is version 9.5.

Thanks Mike

I read your previous discussion and saw the photos, but my problem appears different.

I even simplified it by setting reflection to none and turning only one light on. But, I still get the same vertical stripes of "surface", interspaced with stripes of transparancey, on a swept cylinder. And , on a cone shaped object, small strokes of "surface" interspaced with transparancy. I just don't get the smooth transparancy like in your clear object photo.

Color , in the shader is still set to object attribute. Plain transparancy and no bumps are also set.

I have some Jpegs I could send.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello again David:

This is a bug with swept lines and transparent or reflective shaders. The renderer gets confused about which side of the sweep surface is in front of the other. We generate two sides for the swept line so that it doesn't disappear when you are looking at the backside of the sweep. I will fix this bug for a future version.

Until it is fixed, you can get a correct rendering by drawing a polygon instead of a line for the sweep. I created a shape similar to yours by duplicating your lines and offsetting them slightly, then tracing a polygon around the endpoints of both sets of lines, then deleted the lines leaving only the polygon. When you render, in Custom RW mode make sure that the ray tracing recursion level is around 5 or more, because there will be more surfaces that the ray has to go through.

Thanks for the info,