Export dpi

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Heather Francis:

Will the new version 10 allow us to export a rendering with a greater resolution than 72 dpi?

How are you exporting your rendering? Looking at both Export Image File and the document preferences in VW9.5, I see several places where the DPI already can be specified.

• 2 weeks later...

You can under 8.5.2.

The resolution setting only puts more dots in a physical inch, it dosent add any info.

In order to get a more detailed image, you simply need to increase the pixel dimension of the image in the first two boxes in the upper left of the export image dialogue.

I have very good results with images that are around 3000 to 5000 pixels in the larger dimension. You will get a nice crisp print on an ink jet or laser printer up to 11 x 17, and on a large formatt plotter you can get up to 28 to 32 inches in the larger dimension befor your image begins to break up.

I hope this helps,

good luck

The problem occurs when I'm exporting a line drawing or a rendering to another program, or when I'm saving it to be later emailed. I have no problems when I print line drawings, I do still however get very sketchy images when I print a rendering. I've tried changing the resolutions in both the document preferences and in the export image prompt box, but still I get the same jagged edges. Is there really a way to get smooth renderings in 8.5.2???

quote:

Originally posted by Heather Francis:

Is there really a way to get smooth renderings in 8.5.2???

Yes, in the export image dialogue increase the pixel dimension, increasing the dpi does not add information, it simply puts more pixels in an inch reducing the physical size of the image.

Say Mike, that worked swell! I am on to a whole new set of challenges now though. After I change the pixel dimension and export the drawing (I've tried many different formats), it seems to have a mind completely of its own. While the angles and curves are now smooth, it is only rendering a square in the center of the drawing, and leaving the rest in what appears to be a very strange hidden/dashed line rendering. The line drawing exportation is working much nicer though. Thanks a million!