Mirror - 10

Roughness - 1

Refraction Red - 0.13764

Refraction Green - 0.128079

Refraction Blue - 0.156556

Absorption Red - 3.75

Absorption Green - 4.33

Absorption Blue - 2.33

The settings aren't really specific, I just kept tweeking them until it looked right.

The texture uses the Object Color which is White. There are 2 point lights. I can send you the file if you want. I've seen this with other textures too. They seem to only occur with reflective shaders.

[ 10-02-2002, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: MikeB ]

OK, I've messed with this some more today. It seems the "Artifacts" appear after I convert the sphere primitive into a nurb.

What I'm after here is a perfectly smooth reflective sphere. If I render the primitive sphere with a reflective texture I can see the facets, when I render the primitive converted to a nurb with out the reflective texture I get a perfectly smooth sphere, its when I apply the reflective texture to the nurb that the artifacts appear.

I haven't tried a sweep converted into a nurb yet, I'll try that next.

Mike,

We know of this problem. We call em "artifacts". There are some textures that have too many lights reflecting on it and it can cause these artifacts. Let me talk to Dave and get a better answer for you.

[ 10-02-2002, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Alright, last one, this started as the same primitive pictured above, then I subtraced an extruded rectangle from it. the result was a subtracted solid that VW converted to a nurb in the subtraction process. While there are some artifacts in the subtracted area, there is nowhere near the distortion of the primitive that was manually converted to a nurb by me in the first image.

-

I hope all this is helpful to someone, I just find it kind of interesting [smile]

Mike,

I'm buglisting this problem. If you could be so kind as to email the file/files you are working with where this problem exists, I'd be happy.

I can add those to the buglist entry for review by the engieer.

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

If you could be so kind as to email the file/files you are working with where this problem exists, I'd be happy.

Katie:

If thats all it'll take to make you happy, you must lead a very joyous life [big Grin]

Whats your address?

Also, heres a summary image of what I've been doing.

-

And in wire frame

-

[ 10-03-2002, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: MikeB ]