Redshift freezing Vectorworks

MHBrown

Question

I'm using a MacBook Pro 2019 i9, 32GB RAM, 5500 8GB video card, VW 2022 SP4, OS Monterey

When I render with Redshift, Vectorworks will not allow any other activity. I can't activate any pull down menus, I can't work on another file, etc. Nothing. The file I'm rendering is a trade show exhibit with maybe 25 spotlights, some transparency (windows), in short, I don't think it is a real complicated file. I don't have anything like text converted to polygons, or any other intense geometry. It takes over an hour to render on the Fast Interior rendering Style...not even Final. I'd say most everything is set on medium.

It takes the MacBook Pro down to 58% processor speed as the temperature of the CPU nears 200 degrees F (around 93 degrees C). Is this normal? When it is all finished, the quality isn't really any better than the non-Redshift setting for Interior Fast. Is this normal? I thought this MacBook was great for VW, but I'm not so sure. What is everyone else's experience in using Redshift vs. the ordinary Styles settings?

Thanks,

MH Brown

1 answer to this question

3 hours ago, MHBrown said:

I can't activate any pull down menus, I can't work on another file, etc. Nothing.

VW was always single window only.

E.g. if you open Organization Palette, you can't do anything else until closed.

But you should still be able to work in other Apps, like Safari ?

t takes the MacBook Pro down to 58% processor speed

I am not sure if Redshift can use GPU on Intel Macs (?)

If it can, it may be likely that the GPU is producing most of the heat and therefore the

may CPU throttles faster than it would on a CPU only expensive task like Cinebench

or RW rendering.

the temperature of the CPU nears 200 degrees F (around 93 degrees C)

The new M2 MBA or MBP gets up to 104 °C in extensive combined loads

of CPU + GPU.

the quality isn't really any better than the non-Redshift setting for Interior Fast.

I tried RS a few times after release on my M1 Mini and also did not note any advantages

in quality or render speed and went back to RW.

But AFAIK VW's RS version was an early RS version and 1-2 versions behind of what

latest C4D releases already used. And it does not support my AMD GPU on my PC.

(Not even sure if latest RS in C4D really does)

But RS may get better and more important in future VW releases.