Advantages of Bluebeam Revu

all our pdfs are in bbr for review & comment.  then we do the finals (shown)

There are always things one misses and the reviewer just placed the white arrows (i circled in red to highlight for this post)

So this means we can get stuff out the door w/o the need to fire up the cad and generate a new pdf...

Later, after we have accumulated enough mark-ups we can do the cad thing and make a fresh pdf.

2017354893_ScreenShot2022-07-22at7_51_33AM.thumb.png.c802203464966aad326d5877ccebaf72.png

1 hour ago, Christiaan said:

I don't see this as an advantage of Bluebeam Revu, but of PDF annotations. I've never quite figured out what the advantage of Bluebeam Revu is over other PDF annotators.

One of the main advantages of Bluebeam Revu is that you can set a scale for a drawing and then make scaled measurements of that drawing, adding them as dimension annotations if wanted.

I have yet to find another PDF annotation application on the Mac which can do that.

• Like 1

Ah yes, I had that in the back of my mind after I wrote the above. I've not found another that can do that either. I'd probably use it for that reason if it was still on Mac.

I actually quite like Preview for macOS except that I kept running into problems with annotations dissapearing, so I use PDFpen now.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Christiaan said:

I'd probably use it for that reason if it was still on Mac.

FWIW, I still have the old version 1.9.3 of Revu for Mac running on Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.7 (I don't know if it runs on Monterey).

When I upgraded to Big Sur, Bluebeam Revu for Mac 2.1 (their final release) would crash instantly for me when trying to open the app, but on a whim I reinstalled the old version 1.9.3 and it works great. Fingers crossed that it keeps working for me. You can find old installers HERE

can these others pdf apps do a "replace page" thing?  so you have a drawing set and then have markups that you want to keep but the drawing need to be updated so there is this thing where you can just replace the page but nothing else changes...mark-ups stay.

Also can do a split screen review of a new and old drawing that is synced..that means if you move and zoom on the new drawing then it does the same on the old...this allows you to compare side by side.  

As to the mac version...I always found it buggy and incomplete. Had to abandon when I upgraded my OS..now have a windows laptop with a 32" screen behind me and just use a chair with wheels to turn and roll...this is actually working out better than I thought...and the windows version of bbr is so much better.

my dislikes of bbr:

the check in check out feature for Projects. Had someone that forgot to check in their work and it took 12hrs to track him down so he could check it back in.

no delete recovery.  had to call the company to recover a deleted file.

The mobile app is very buggy if it still exists.

Rumor has it that they are coming out with a cloud based operation this fall.  we will see.

On 7/23/2022 at 1:46 AM, rDesign said:

FWIW, I still have the old version 1.9.3 of Revu for Mac running on Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.7 (I don't know if it runs on Monterey).

When I upgraded to Big Sur, Bluebeam Revu for Mac 2.1 (their final release) would crash instantly for me when trying to open the app, but on a whim I reinstalled the old version 1.9.3 and it works great. Fingers crossed that it keeps working for me. You can find old installers HERE

You're in luck, 1.9.3 opens on macOS Ventura too. Just tried it now.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, digitalcarbon said:

can these others pdf apps do a "replace page" thing?  so you have a drawing set and then have markups that you want to keep but the drawing need to be updated so there is this thing where you can just replace the page but nothing else changes...mark-ups stay.

No, not that I know of. That's handy.

22 hours ago, digitalcarbon said:

Also can do a split screen review of a new and old drawing that is synced..that means if you move and zoom on the new drawing then it does the same on the old...this allows you to compare side by side.  

Again, sounds very handy!