What will be new in VW 2023 for Landmark?

I got my first notice for renewal of service select, which means I probably get the VW 2023 download in a month or so.  My problem is that I am semi to fully retired in the design biz, having taken a full time position elsewhere but am allowed to continue a few projects that were initiated before starting my new position.

The question as it relates to VW is whether there are enough new features in Landmark to make it worth upgrading one more year?  The roadmap section didn't appear to give too much away, although, "site modifier improvements" are included and would be what I would be most interested in, but there isn't much detail.

I'm not even sure this is the best forum to put this in, but thought I would give it a try with all the landscape gurus here.  Thanks in advance.

I've heard rumors that the "Site Modifier improvements" are a pretty big deal.  It sounds like a complete revamp because they figured out a new and improved way to create models.  Apparently you should be able to do overhangs now, which would mean being able to have walls with footings and other buried elements that would be able to accurately represent cut and fill and other measurements.  Plus 2022, should have some other big reworks that make it worth it in my mind.

Nothing significant has improved since the overhaul of the VGM some time ago IMHO.   That was when things suddenly sped up and became more usable for 3D.  Everything else has been shiny objects and in some cases, broken workflows.

I predict 2023 will be more of a service pack to 2022 rather than something feature rich for landscape.  Hopefully I am wrong.

It would be nice if they made site model creation and adjustments multithreaded to take advantage of our fancy computers.  It sucks waiting 5 minutes for a site model update while your computer is sitting a 5% utilization.

• Like 1

They normally post snippets of new things through august.

im in a similar position, used VW for 22 years - not really sure whether I really need to keep paying the yearly subs - last year I did begrudgingly as I was enticed by the new redshift rendering and I thought door and window reveal/ closures were finally sorted (which it wasn’t).

vw 2022 crashed so often on my hackintosh I’ve not really used it for any major work.

so this year - I’m not planning on paying anymore - I’ll stick with 21/22 for the foreseeable future and save some cash. Sick and tired of being VW beta tester. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 8:40 PM, neal-2002 said:

They normally post snippets of new things through august.

im in a similar position, used VW for 22 years - not really sure whether I really need to keep paying the yearly subs - last year I did begrudgingly as I was enticed by the new redshift rendering and I thought door and window reveal/ closures were finally sorted (which it wasn’t).

vw 2022 crashed so often on my hackintosh I’ve not really used it for any major work.

so this year - I’m not planning on paying anymore - I’ll stick with 21/22 for the foreseeable future and save some cash. Sick and tired of being VW beta tester. 

I seem to be in the exact same position. I've been waiting for several years for VW to create a properly working hedge tool with multi-species capacity, without any luck - even though it's such a major landscape component, used in almost every landscape project. 

On 7/21/2022 at 3:56 PM, jeff prince said:

Everything else has been shiny objects and in some cases, broken workflows.

I have exactly the same impression, @jeff prince. New or, in most cases, upgraded existing features have been advertised, whilst some others got broken and the really anticipated improvements never came to fruition. Very disappointing on the development side.

• Like 2