Anybody else have issues with Zoom meetings and screen share?

I just (finally) gave in and downloaded the Zoom app (for win11) - I have been using google hangouts - but nobody wants to use google hangouts anymore now that zoom is so cool!

I just got off a meeting and was trying to screen share.

While Zoom was open my computer was not allowing VW to have enough resources to do anything.

I couldn't pan or use the flyover tool - it would not react and then jump far far beyond where I was trying to go...

I often couldn't even select objects and the cursor was jumping all over the place.

I have an nvidea quadro card and 32gb of memory so there should be no issues - but VW was just unusable.

I actually stopped the meeting and restarted VW to see if that helped - it didn't.

I apologized to the client and fought through it, but it was just an incredibly frustrating experience.

And then the meeting ended, I signed out, and VW was working normally again... no need of a restart or anything.

I know this isn't a VW problem - and is probably crap coding on the Zoom side - but does anyone have any thoughts?

I use random monitors everywhere I go.  I'm having the problem right now on a 1080p monitor.  I also have it at home on a 4K.

If I unplug the monitor things return to normal in about a minute.

If I use a fan to blow air across the bottom of the computer (it's on one of those stand things) it returns to normal in about 15 minutes.

I thought is was a Mac thing…

I've never had a problem with Zoom and Vectorworks on a variety of Macs.

I've tutored people in Vectorworks for hours at a time on that platform.

I've done 3D walkthroughs with it as well, though that can get a little dicey... best to use saved views to navigate around rather than the walk around tools.

The few times I have used Zoom on a PC with any 3D application, nothing but problem.

I do not know why this is the case on either platform.

The biggest issue I have with VW and Zoom happens when other background stuff happens. Usually, when my backup software runs and/or Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud start syncing.

Before you Zoom (or any other teleconference) make sure you pause syncing and turn off Notifications so the entire presentation doesn't see the notification that your Minoxidil prescription is ready for pickup.  By the way Minoxidil does not work for VW induced hair loss.  Ask me how I know. 😉

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Notes from my research last night on zoom reddit and forums slowing the computer down seems to be a fairly uncommon problem. Most posts reference new MBPs being affected.

Recommendations are to turn off all the "hardware acceleration" in the zoom settings and (for windows at least) to set system priorities for any zoom instance to "below normal" in the task manager. And importantly - like @Pat Stanfordsays - turn off all background operations.

Notably I had onedrive on in the background.

The odd thing is I've not had issues the last couple of times when I was using zoom.

I've only used zoom three times - normally use google.

Anyway, hoping it was an odd one-off situation.

If not Google Meet works fine and my wife uses microsoft teams...

It got so bad I actually took my i9 in for a hardware test and it passed :-).

I wonder if there is a conflict between the drivers for my Wacom, the driver for my travel 4K monitor, the driver for my old travel monitor, the driver for the one before that, the drivers for the 10 digitizer tablets I tried before this one…

Might try a nuke and pave.  Or buy more fans.

• Like 1

Ok, different kind of screen share problem. MBP, vwx tabbed application interface, no external monitor, so all the zoom interface palettes and widgets have to park somewhere. The Zoom screenshare palette defaults to top of screen which hides  part of the view and mode bars. So, move it to bottom of screen. Uh oh! Some of the tool dialogs extend full height of screen. In one recent session I could not complete a tool task because the vwx blue OK button was missing. I didn’t understand that the Zoom screenshare palette obscured the entire lower part of that dialog. Also didn’t think to use the Return key.  Fortunately another viewer figured out my plight and prompted me. Moved the bottom the vwx interface upwards, so Zoom could fit below. 

I don't see the slowdowns so much, but the MBP fans always get a real workout. Can help to shut off the zoom camera/video during the share. But then need to remember to switch on again at end of share.   Or come up for air once in a while to take off some heat. 

-B