Creating Broken Glass Texture

I am a scenic designer working on King Lear. I am using Vectorworks/Renderworks 9.5. I am trying to make a broken glass texture for one of the scenes. It is looking okay but not quite right, I was wondering if any one had some sugestions on how to make a really good broken glass texture.

You could probably find a good image that is a background image for web page design folks that looks like broken glass. Download the image and create a texture out of it with RenderWorks thru the Resource palette.

Once you have saved the image to your computer, you can go to the Resources palette and select the "new" button and then select Texture at the next dialog box. Follow the RW manual or the prompts on the screen until you have the texture fully created and available in your resources palette under the current drawing.

I have a ton of textures that I've downloaded in my web page design days. I'll see if I can find a good one for you and post it up here.

BTW - Love King Lear. Good luck wtih it!

Do you want a pile of broken glass on the floor?

A window that is broken out partialy?

Or just a window that has those wonderful spiderweb cracks thru it.

This was harder than I originally thought. Apparently, the only broken glass images I could find were ones you have to pay for. In my world, where freebies are always welcome, I did find a thumbnail of a window pane that has a small hole in the center with the spiderweb cracks going to the outskirts of the edge. It's black with white lines. I don't know if this is something you can use or not. Maybe if you have photoshop or something you can reverse the colors so the cracks are black and the black window pane is really white.

If that is something you might wnat, let me know and I'll post it up here.

why don't you start your scanner up and then tap the scanner bed with a hammer, lightly, you don't want all the bits falling into your scanner and spoiling the insides. before you start you might want to find out if you can get replacement glass for your scanner.

putting 3m safety film on a piece of glass and tapping that will make a lovely broken glas pattern that you can then scan. The safety film keeps the glass all together. Just a thought if you can't find an image. A month ago I could have done it for you because I had a bunch of old windows in my back yard from a house renovation, complete with spidery cracks and safety film.

Thank you for your responses and ideas. I guess I should have been more specific. I am trying to create a window that has broken glass with glass still hanging in the frame with a jagged edge, and cracked through out the rest of the glass. If you could post that jpeg of broken glass I would apreciate it.