Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Organizing OIP inputs?

Every Marionette node object I create seems to list the inputs in a random order in the Object Info Palette.  Is there a way to reorder the listed inputs in the Object Info Palette?  Is it possible to group certain items?

My office is still on Vectorworks 2016.

See the attached image.

OIP.png.3a8ce95dec28c61d323f680f60ca51fc.png

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Peter Vandewalle said:

Just put a number in front of the parameter names. The Marionette object will only show the parameter name without the leading numbers.

the parameters will show in the numbers order.

01Width > Width

I have tried that but I get a syntax error any time I add a number in the beginning.

19 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

I believe you have to shift the location of the nodes in the drawing. I believe it runs from top left to bottom right. I am not certain if it goes right or down first.

I've tried adjusting the locations and have been unsuccessful in reordering.  I wonder if has anything to do with the order the node is added to the overall script.

I am working on 2016.  I am curious if in the newer versions of vectorworks this issue has been resolved or made easier to organize the OIP.

13 minutes ago, Peter Vandewalle said:

That could be a version issue. Marionette was pretty new in 2016.

Yes if that is the case it is disappointing.  I just wish they had Marionette a little more polished before releasing it.  Organization is a huge part of coding or scripting.  I hope they eventually have a better way to organize and create drop downs in the OIP.

If they haven't gotten it done by 2022 since 2016 that is very unfortunate.

• Sad 1
16 minutes ago, Peter Vandewalle said:

In 2022, a lot more is possible with Marionette.

And you can still organise 10 parameters en 2016... I guess the idea was that when you needed more parameters, you'd better script in Python or Vectorscript.

I guess it's possible to create my own python node, although, I don't trust that vectorworks will continue to support vectorscript or python.  I previously have put a lot of time into my own scripts which have been rendered useless after version 2016.  And this is the main reason I want to stick to their provided marionette nodes and also why I'm disappointed that marionette didn't offer more in the beginning.

Lets hope they continue to provide support for marionette and python in the future.

35 minutes ago, MaxStudio said:

I guess it's possible to create my own python node, although, I don't trust that vectorworks will continue to support vectorscript or python.  I previously have put a lot of time into my own scripts which have been rendered useless after version 2016.  And this is the main reason I want to stick to their provided marionette nodes and also why I'm disappointed that marionette didn't offer more in the beginning.

Lets hope they continue to provide support for marionette and python in the future.

If scripts get useless, mostly it's just a few lines that need to be updated.

Vectorworks isn't planning to stop Vectorscript or Python support, half of their plugins are Vectorscript...

38 minutes ago, Peter Vandewalle said:

If scripts get useless, mostly it's just a few lines that need to be updated.

Vectorworks isn't planning to stop Vectorscript or Python support, half of their plugins are Vectorscript...

I guess more of the problem stems from the fact that I do Architecture for a living and not coding/scripting.  A lot of time was put into writing my past scripts.  My entire office used them and relies on them.  Time was something I had when I was younger now not so much.  I don't have the time to go analyze my old code.   That's really why I don't want to veer to far from the standard marionette nodes.

Thanks Again

2 hours ago, MaxStudio said:

I don't trust that vectorworks will continue to support vectorscript or python.

I don't think you have anything to worry about for a long time.

All of the Marionette nodes are written in Python. If Python goes away so does Mario.  Not Going To Happen.

All of the Python is based on Vectorscript. To remove Vectorscript you would basically have to rewrite all ot the python library also. Not Going To Happen.

I think you are perfectly safe using Python for anything you want. 

And even if they did go away in some future version they would still work in the version you have. Which is the best any programer can ever expect.  Hope for more, but expect the least.

• Like 4
  • Marionette Maven
On 7/18/2022 at 9:54 AM, MaxStudio said:

Ok so i've been playing around more with the numbers in the beginning.  At the moment if I use "01" it gives an error.  If I use only a single digit  "1" or "2" it seems to work.  If I use "11" I also get an error.

You should be doing this in the OIP, not the script editor. Use the Name field of the Marionette node, as shown in Antonio's example:

On 7/18/2022 at 4:53 AM, Antonio Landsberger said:

58707493_Bildschirmfoto2022-07-18um10_50_25.thumb.png.ae8035ad874df150ec429946f48ce065.png

Notice that the purple nodes are still all "Name" nodes, they just have a custom name above them that was entered in the OIP.

EDIT:

I do see that it appears you ARE still attempting to do both, I was caught off guard by your OIP control also having the numerical prefix.

If you're still running into issues, please directly send me a file and I'll take a look.

• Like 1
  • Marionette Maven
On 7/16/2022 at 1:55 PM, Pat Stanford said:

I believe you have to shift the location of the nodes in the drawing. I believe it runs from top left to bottom right. I am not certain if it goes right or down first.

I think it's a little more than this. I've discovered it somehow has to do with stacking order and depends on something else that determines which way it traverses through the network. My assumption is that it chooses a starting node based on stacking order, then follows the connections from that node (in what way, I do not know), and then builds the script by traversing through the wires.

I seem to recall seeing that someone created a method to number the nodes showing the traversal pattern... I'll see if I can find it.

• Like 3