Here's a bizarre problem

MikeB

Alright, I run VW cross platfrom

Work - G4 733/ 384 Mb ram/ OS X.1.2Home - P3 800/ 384 Mb ram/ Win 98 se

I'm working on a model of a small pool house. It has some glass block in it. I've created a symbol of the glass block which is made of 7 extruded rectangle textured to represent the glass and the mortar.

On the mac the glass block renders very well and appears correct. My screen has a white background and although the glass texture in the glass block is very bumpy and refracted you can still see the white background through the glass.

The same areas that show white in the glass block on the mac, show black on the pc. I also have a white background on the PC. All of my rendering settings are the same on both machines, so I don't understand why the glass block renders so differently. It's not that the glass block looks particularly bad on the pc, its just not rendering correctly, and it seems like they should render identically on both systems.

I've noticed differences in other materials as well, but the glass block has been the first to cause problems.

On a side note, I used to notice under VW 8 that when my PC had to redraw lots of objects, sometimes the screen would display black for a fraction of a second, and then the white background would appear. I don't know if this is related but it seem suspicious.

On another side note, specifically in relation VW and RW the pc renders much faster than the mac. This was very disappointing for me. I've maintained a pc at home for a long time but with OS X, the new Mac products, and the G4's velocity engine. I was thinking about crossing over when my next system upgrade becomes inevitable, but under this scenario I'll probably keep things as they are.

I think mine is a different problem. I have seen where if you use the plain transparency and the glass relfectivity shader together you will get bizarre colors in your reflections in the glass. This is more like the PC is using a black background for the transparency instead of the white background.

Does that make sense?

Mike, If you want, you can send the file in and I'll take a look at it. I'll talk to the engineer about it then if I can reproduce the error.

(tech@nemetschek.net attention Katie)

Also, what type of video cards are you using on both machines?

At some point, the Open GL portion of the video card maps the texture. A difference in video cards and Open GL quality of the different cards MIGHT (that's a strong emphasis on "might") be contributing to the problem.

At any rate, I have win 98 and os 10.1.1 and 10.1.2 and 10.1.3 here to compare notes with.

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

Well, upon further investigation it seems the object may be causing the problem. I was messing around with it at home befor I left for work and briefly fixed it. The Bumpy Glass shader I was using suddenly appeared correct, but I accidently quit with out saving. Duh. I'll keep you guy posted.

On a side note, I switched my colors for 32 bit to 16 bit and the problem w/ the bizarre colors when using the Glass shader w/ the Transparency shader seemed to go away. I haven't tested this on my Mac yet.