Subdivision challenge

20 minutes ago, Steve Barrett said:

That looks amazing but at a 1/2 gig it's probably not going to suit my needs.  Thank you for the link, however.

You can always make a high resolution model lighter to suit your purposes, or just find a lower resolution version.  There are 100s of that aircraft modeled to all kinds of LOD.

Thanks Jeff, I considered that approach as well but it has some pretty bad reviews.  A model for the B21 Raider has proven difficult to find - most of what comes up is the B2 Spirit which looks similar but is a different plane.  All the same, I'll keep looking and hope that someone more savvy that me shows interest in a subdivision option.  I'm not averse to paying for the model.

• 2 months later...

@Steve Barrett What did you ever do in regards to this modeling effort?

I was cleaning up my thread subscriptions today and decided to give it a try after watching the subdivision tutorial on Vectorworks university.

I tried modeling half the plane with a single subdivision and then mirror.

It's pretty hard to do so in my limited experience.

I think the easier path would be to model the wing structure, fuselage, and cockpit as separate subdivisions.  There are just so many curves and control points that it becomes difficult to control the geometry in one go.  Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in as it is an interesting problem to solve.

Side note: I did a little cheater thing and used a decal w/alpha channel on the right side model to clip the wing where I was having particular difficulty straightening the trailing edge of the wing.  It's no show quality ride and certainly a bit rougher than a 20' car 🙂

Anyhow, thanks for posting this thread as it motivated me to exercise the subdivision tool a bit.

Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 15.41.56.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 15.41.47.png

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 9/18/2022 at 8:54 AM, jeff prince said:

I tried modeling half the plane with a single subdivision and then mirror.

Really excellent effort Jeff!

When you say 'then mirror' do you know about the mirror mode with the SubDiv tool? 

image.png

You have to turn 'Snap to Object' on to accurately get the correct mirror plane (then turn it off) but it's very cool editing the model and seeing the mirror doing exactly the same as the original.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 4

Although subdivision is interesting as a Vectorworks visualization tool, I am assuming you don't need the Raider for a landscape design.  I am thinking you are exporting to another program.  If not, I stand corrected.   If you are exporting, then you need to break down your parts so they can be textured, or animated etc.  If this is the case, 3D modelling is going to be much easier.  The Bomber below was modelled in Vectorworks and sent to C4D.

• Like 2

I have several Youtube channels.  One has well over a million views and 4000 subscribers, but I do not monetize in any way. I am long and well retired.  I have a permanent NFR of 2022, but use 2018 most of the time.  Most of the time being maybe a few days a month.  

For the last eight years or so I have been going back and forth with Vectorworks on the issue of explaining NURBS modelling.  Finally last year, VW's contracted me to write two tutorials on how to build fairly complex objects, so they could get users interested in NURBS modelling.  But, in the end, they decided not to use them.  They have and will use them for promotional purposes, plus for their own tech people I am assuming.

But, they are quite happy for me to post free NURBS tutorials and I may.  What I am trying to do is gauge interest in NURBS modelling, so If I see a door open, I post something.   I apologize if this is offending you in some way.

My history with Vectorworks

-1986 - became Minicad's first 3D beta tester.  There was a 3D component to the first Minicad.

~1995 contracted by Vectorworks to write paper chapter on 3D animation in Vectorworks

-Wrote tutorials on how to transfer 3D files to CINEMA 4D before "Send to" button using dxf.

-Worked with Nemetschek Germany to implement "Send to" button.

-Wrote tutorials for "send to" button. 

-Last year, wrote tutorials for Vectorworks on NURBS modelling.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Not really interested in a job.  The part about "well retired."  I am 70 years old next year.  Retired for 17 years.  

I did find it odd that VW would contract me after all these years for help on 3D modelling?  Just curious, did anyone from Vectorworks contact you on this issue?  Seems to me you would be a prime candidate to write advanced 3D NURBS tutorials. 

17 minutes ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

I see you are a trainer.  Do you have a website?

Yes, but no website. I haven't needed one or the commitment to built and maintain it well.

I'll look @ your nurbs modelling tutorials though. Always room to grow. Thanks for sharing them!

• Like 1