Align objects in right ISO.

Bruce Kieffer

Question

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Gotcha. Like right-clicking a 2D object and aligning via the context-menu because that gives the clicked object priority. Yes, the 3D Align command does not seem to be available via right-click. You can place a 3D locus in case that helps because that takes precedence over everything else. 

But I see what you mean. You don't want to use an extra object.

I don't understand why it doesn't work. It's like some remnant of screen plane. Why does it matter what the view is for alignment. I say align the object tops in any other view like front, right, left, back, all 3D views, and align works there.But in right ISO, where I can actually see the parts, and it won't align.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Bruce, it does align but with respect to the screen plane. 2D alignment works in x,y, 3D align in x,y,z. While 2D is the preferred mode for cardinal views (left, right, etc.), it creates the wrong result in an iso or perspective view. It is not always easy to identify where the 3d axes are in a cardinal view. That's why we need 2D align for these views.

This has nothing to do with your wish to improve the alignment process, which sometimes requires a locus. This used to be the case with 2D align before we had the right-click. So, I see a two-fold scope for improvement:

• Make it less cumbersome (and more discoverable) to override the normal align behavior's 'master object' (which is normally the object at the max coordinate of the alignment direction). This goes for 2D as well because the right click effect on the 'master object' is not known to many users.
  • Make it easier to switch between 2D align and 3D align.

I would add my own 2c by saying that the entire alignment process is too protracted because it either requires a right-click (with a submenu, to boot) or, opening a dialog from the menu. Also, you must decide if you want 2D or 3D align. I think this could be simplified.

Edited by Stephan Moenninghoff
  • Like 2