Drag and drop .jpeg error message

livespace josha

Question

4 answers to this question

I imagine the email client added something to the .jpg format causing it to misbehave in VWX.  To test this, open the file in question with your prefered image editor and resave it as a .jpg and see if the behavior repeats.  I can drag and drop images into sheet layers without issue.

2 hours ago, livespace josha said:

Nope, all works fine in Preview! Also, all the metadata for the image is maintained from the original image (see below). 

Also tried to rename it Attachment.jpg and still no luck.

Opening something in Preview is not a valid test of the problem as Preview will open just about anything, including OBJ and USD models.  It's a pretty robust little App.

If you follow my advice and open that iPhone photo in an editor (even Preview will work)

and export it (as .jpg or .png),

you will be able to drag and drop it in Vwx 2022.

This will fix the problem you are facing, guaranteed.

I suppose you could file this as a bug in 2022, because native drag and drop of iPhone 13 Pro photos works in 2021 without doing the export thing.  You can even drag and drop an iPhone photo ,from the Photos App, on a mac, directly into Vectorworks (2021, not 2022).  It's probably a metadata issue, but this topic is far outside my area of expertise.

Or you can just say "nope"...

I'd still classify this a a bug. If I have 2 image files with the same extension and they both open fine in all other applications (Preview, Safari, Acrobat, etc), but Vectorworks gives me an error message?

I agree it's probably a metadata issue, but the error is pretty vague and not very helpful.

(I kinda deserved the snarky-ness of your last line...I mis-read your post. I didn't see the point where you mentioned re-saving the file.)