renderworks memory

Deane Rykerson

• 3 weeks later...

There is a patch available for this problem available on the downloads section of our website. (http://www.nemetschek.net/downloads/renderworks/RenderWorks%209.0.1a%20Updater.hqx)

This should resolve the problem

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by Deane Rykerson:

I cannot use renderworks 9.01 on my Mac. I always get 'one or more operations aborted due to lack of memory. increase partition size'message. i have increased ram to 384 and still the same. this means i cannot do solar studies which is my main purpose for using renderworks. any ideas?

This update is only for the Macintosh version of RenderWorks. A .sit file is a Mac compression format similar to a .zip file.

The problem that it addresses is not present in our Windows software.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by Ohran:

I downloaded the update and it shows up as a .sit file. Which I dont know how to use.

I am using a PC Windows 2000.

Is the update for Windows?

I am using VW Spotlight 9.0.1 on Windows 2000 P3 256 ram. I have also been getting the same error, "Some actions aborted due to the lack of memory......"

Any ideas?

quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Giampapa:

This update is only for the Macintosh version of RenderWorks. A .sit file is a Mac compression format similar to a .zip file.

The problem that it addresses is not present in our Windows software.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

Well that may actually be the case. The problem we had before is that the program was erroneously reporting "increase partition size" due to a bug in RenderWorks.

It is quite possible to have RenderWorks simply run out of available memory. Under the default configuration Windows 2000 will automatically move to use virtual memory and continue to allocate more as RenderWorks requests it.

To check your current configuration in Windows 2000, right click the my computer icon and select properties. Then go to the advanced tab. Click on the performance settings button and you will be able to define how large a swap file windows can use and where it is located.

If you have a C drive with very little free space, this could be the problem. Windows is unable to have the swap file span volumes. You can either remove some files to free up space or move the swap file to a different volume.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

I am using VW Spotlight 9.0.1 on Windows 2000 P3 256 ram. I have also been getting the same error, "Some actions aborted due to the lack of memory......"

Any ideas?

I'd like to know if setting the layer options fixes Ohran's problem on a PC. I think I ran into this on my home computer a few weeks ago and switching the layer to active only fixed it on the PC. This was before I realized that NNA had stated that the problem was Mac only. I'll test it tonight and report my results.

I upped my virtual memory by quite a bit and haven't had the error message today. I have been having problems with render Truss. I have created a drawing using the VW Spotlight 9.0.1 truss tool. I want to give the truss a texture but it would take it. I then did a ctrl+k Convert to Group. And was able to get the truss to then take a texture but VW would lock up when I tried to render. So its been a little frustrating.

I am also can't get my drawing to print once it is rendered. I go to print it goes through the whole printing process (I see a little flash on my plotter) then I get a dialogue box that says this action will need to either rerender or go wireframe. At which point my plotter stops thinking.

The Truss tool can generate some very complicated objects to render because of all the small components. When you print, the computer actually re-renders the image at the resolution of the printer. (Usually 300 dpi or more opposed to the screen resolution of 72 dpi)

There are three things I think you can do. One would be to turn down the 3D conversion resolution in the 3D preferences panel under VectorWorks Preferences.

The other suggestion I have is to turn down the printing resolution via the VectorWorks Options in the page setup dialog.

However, the best solution in this case I would try first would be to use the Render Bitmap tool to create a static rendering of the document. This is like a snapshot of the rendering which uses your custom RenderWorks settings and creates a picture object on your document. This will not require you re-render when you print and also give finer control over the area that needs to be rendered.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

I upped my virtual memory by quite a bit and haven't had the error message today. I have been having problems with render Truss. I have created a drawing using the VW Spotlight 9.0.1 truss tool. I want to give the truss a texture but it would take it. I then did a ctrl+k Convert to Group. And was able to get the truss to then take a texture but VW would lock up when I tried to render. So its been a little frustrating.

I am also can't get my drawing to print once it is rendered. I go to print it goes through the whole printing process (I see a little flash on my plotter) then I get a dialogue box that says this action will need to either rerender or go wireframe. At which point my plotter stops thinking.