Create Site Model from Source Data... is moves the site model at creation

28 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

User error.

And what user error is causing the offset?

I imported the same file, and created the same site model about a dozen times yesterday, and then it started doing that after about the 10th time.

Have you seen this behavior before?

45 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I've never seen anyone else say this but when I run the command in a 3D view this happens. In Top/Plan view all is fine.

You are correct sir.  Site models should be built from Top/Plan view.

@Mark AcetoIf that’s not it, post the import file and describe how you did the site model creation and what VWX version used.

• Like 3

Thank you, gentlemen!

Next question / steps:

1. Is there a way to get the skirt to extend to the lowest point of elevation in the site model itself?
  2. For context, this site model is actually a slab. We're building walls that will need a continuous transition to the slab, so I'm just setting up the overall 3D model in a way that makes sense for all collaborators. For clarification, we won't need components or a real world slab thickness.
  3. For a little more context, the highest point of the site model will move to 0.

Now that I think about, I could add a 4th step to create a "reveal / shim / fill study" using the Project tool... 

I thought by default the site model is created with the skirt set to the lowest elevation of the source data. Then you can lower it further via the 'Minimum Elevation' parameter (I generally lower it by 10m or whatever to make it a bit more chunky).

50 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I thought by default the site model is created with the skirt set to the lowest elevation of the source data. Then you can lower it further via the 'Minimum Elevation' parameter (I generally lower it by 10m or whatever to make it a bit more chunky).

You're right. With the Clip Cube, I can see where I was confused but it's actually bottoming out where it should (I'm a little rusty):

1684020930_ScreenShot2022-07-02at10_25_19AM.thumb.png.1687b0264404e55fe0f72c63fa857bb4.png

1312190926_ScreenShot2022-07-02at10_27_13AM.thumb.png.03f40f8b0912ab133ae3301b169b070f.png

Now, I think I just need to move the entire imported model down 1.563" to get the top of the site model to 0: 

959099196_ScreenShot2022-07-02at10_28_46AM.thumb.png.29680b90cae9439273946074bc994f1c.png

716236652_ScreenShot2022-07-02at10_38_55AM.thumb.png.2ba7f0b4b646ae6b9eba8dd6a8ea8baa.png

576091735_ScreenShot2022-07-02at10_46_45AM.thumb.png.01d3cea3ee1ad16b812ace695c8f102a.png

372463255_ArrestedDevelopment-Busterbluepartland.gif.1759bd14759f4486a811a8c31951e476.gif

Edited by Mark Aceto
2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I've never seen anyone else say this but when I run the command in a 3D view this happens. In Top/Plan view all is fine. Jeff will know for sure what the score is I'd be interested to know

Now I remember I had similar too.

But AFAIR it was creating Slabs from Polylines or even placing round Walls.

They were totally off in XYZ when created in an isometric view but ok when

created in Top Plan View.

For me that looks like a bigger issue.

I assume a VW 2022 regression caused by something like changes with

deprecated Screen Plane (but not all cases found where Screen Plane

still contaminates objects, tools or files)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, zoomer said:

For me that looks like a bigger issue.

I assume a VW 2022 regression caused by something like changes with

deprecated Screen Plane

That's actually a great point that I may test. I turned on Legacy 2D features or whatever nonsense they called it, so that may be what triggered it. As I recall, every time I created the site model, I was in a 3D view.

The other unintuitive thing is that often times (or at least exporting) 3D workflows require that you be in a 3D view, so when I'm working with thousands of 3D loci, I really want to see that conversation happen to verify the outcome is what I expect. Forcing users to be in a 2D plan view when working with 3D objects seems counter... I guess it's because the site model is a hybrid object? I don't know... I'll have to test all this when I have free time (never).

@zoomer

@Mark Aceto

I'm almost certain this behavior has been standard since I started using the software… v2017.  One of the site modeling classes specifically tells people to invoke the site model creation from plan, after using the validation tool.    Between symbols and site models, one can create a lot of drama when creating things in a rotated plan or any 3D view 😞

I didn't notice that behavior that early.

But VW 2021 already could be likely.

In VW 2017 (great release !) times I was more occupied with

dislocating VW Cameras and moved/rotated Extrudes showing

wrong environment position in edit mode and such.