Insert Symbol in Wall - HELP!

blanger

Question

I'm banging my head against the wall!

2 Windows that I made into symbols.

The one on the left I can get the Auto Hybrid to work and show me the muntins correctly. But the glass doesn't appear correctly and when placed in wall does not cut a hole in the wall in 3d.

The one on the right has glazing that appears correctly and cuts the hole in wall in 3d but will not display correctly in plan.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!!??? I've already wasted too much time today on this 😞

Thanks!

4353660_ScreenShot2022-07-01at11_02_22AM.thumb.png.7c6e0de865385059bc3e294bcfb9eef2.png1765270508_ScreenShot2022-07-01at10_59_05AM.thumb.png.80a23fc1b77e15f7c1c15481fac37431.png

WindowTrouble.vwx

5 answers to this question

The one with the brown glass has the Autohybrid inside the 3D part of the symbol in a group. The one with the blue glass does not.

Edit the blue glass symbol, 3D component, select all, group.

It should work.

And I do know know why an auto hybrid needs to be in a group to work as part of a symbol in wall.

Yeah that's super weird...

As for the 2D representation, the two windows appear to be built at different Z heights (notice they're currently at 3' & 5' in the OIP to compensate for this). If you adjust the brown-glass window to have an Auto-Hybrid cut plane at 0", the 2D representation looks correct. Or you could go inside the Auto-Hybrid and move the 3D geometry on the Z axis so it matches how the other one was built.

10 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

Yeah that's super weird...

As for the 2D representation, the two windows appear to be built at different Z heights (notice they're currently at 3' & 5' in the OIP to compensate for this). If you adjust the brown-glass window to have an Auto-Hybrid cut plane at 0", the 2D representation looks correct. Or you could go inside the Auto-Hybrid and move the 3D geometry on the Z axis so it matches how the other one was built.

Son of Sailor! So the Auto-Hybrid Is relative to the axis for that object - I thought it was relative to 0 on my layers.  Thanks for the fix - - you got me into this whole symbol in wall mess anyway!... Also you can see how I decided to make the window - pretty simple to do it as 2 extruded shapes rather than a bunch of extrude along paths.  Thanks as always!!

Edited by blanger
29 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

The one with the brown glass has the Autohybrid inside the 3D part of the symbol in a group. The one with the blue glass does not.

Edit the blue glass symbol, 3D component, select all, group.

It should work.

And I do know know why an auto hybrid needs to be in a group to work as part of a symbol in wall.

AHA! So Strange - Auto Hybrid then Group then Make Symbol if I want to insert in the wall.  I always avoid grouping if I'm going to make a symbol to skip a step. Thanks!!!

51 minutes ago, blanger said:

So the Auto-Hybrid Is relative to the axis for that object - I thought it was relative to 0 on my layers.

Sort of. Typically the cut plane IS relative to the Design Layer Z plane... unless the Auto Hybrid is inside a Symbol. Symbols have their own internal coordinates (the insertion point is 0,0,0), so the Auto-Hybrid cut plane is related to the Z plane "within" the Symbol container. (Then the Symbol itself can be at any Z height.)

• Confused 1