Dumb Question about Z height and ruler in front view

I did some tests and think I figured it out.  Open up a new file and draw a 3D object (like an extrude).  If you go to a front view, you'll see that the 0' ruler mark lines up properly.  However, if you set a user origin, the ruler seems to no longer properly align in orthographic views.  If you reset your user origin back to the internal origin, it lines up correctly again.  There's likely a bug with the user origin (as per usual) and the ruler not updating properly.

12 hours ago, Jesse Cogswell said:

I did some tests and think I figured it out.  Open up a new file and draw a 3D object (like an extrude).  If you go to a front view, you'll see that the 0' ruler mark lines up properly.  However, if you set a user origin, the ruler seems to no longer properly align in orthographic views.  If you reset your user origin back to the internal origin, it lines up correctly again.  There's likely a bug with the user origin (as per usual) and the ruler not updating properly.

So, in your test, drawing the extrude reset the user origin?

This Setting will move the User Origin automatically for you !

To a, what I think, relatively arbitrary position, just read from the

DWG geometries bounding box center, which has no meaning.

But at least this way the DWG will be centered on VW Origin for

best precision and/but you will still work in "world" coordinates

(Which I never want. I want 0/0/0 centered at my building grid !)

But if VW has a problem with Rulers and switching Element positions ....

I would say this is a bug.

1 minute ago, Mark Aceto said:

Here's the DWG model that I'm importing, and I need to align TOS with Z:0

880310703_ScreenShot2022-07-02at11_21_39AM.thumb.png.19a25974cb9c8ea777659806635730d7.png

Looks like you are in a perspective mode.

In this case the look of your view could be plausible that it sits correct in Z.

But switch to an orthographic Side View, to be able to see if the top of floor

is really at Z=0.00

In 2022 the rulers were removed from non-orthogonal 3D views. Perhaps they should only display in orthogonal views when the User Origin is coincident with the Internal Origin. In a georeferenced file the Y ruler is pretty meaningless in a front/side view. As is the X axis too except I suppose in Front view...?

14 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Looks like you are in a perspective mode.

In this case the look of your view could be plausible that it sits correct in Z.

But switch to an orthographic Side View, to be able to see if the top of floor

is really at Z=0.00

I did that so it would be easier for y'all to see. Z is not really at 0.

• 2 weeks later...

So to put it simple: this is just a bug. Or if not a bug then totally irrational function.

I would find it very useful if the Y-ruler would show me the Z-coordinates in the side view. It's strange that the Y-ruler is messed in the side view when using user origin since it has nothing to do with Z-coordinates.

Anyway, this was driving me mad since I thought that I was doing something wrong but it was just a bug. What a relief... Hope they fix this asap.

• Like 1