Text Decals

I successfully placed a text decal on a building element made from part of an extruded oval. Wow!

The problem: I want the text directly mounted to the building, not to a signboard, and the finish material showing. The questions are: 1. Can a text element be exported with a transparent background as a jpeg or equal without losing the transparency from PhotoShop or Illustrator? (VW recommends using image-editing programs like PS or Illus.) 2. Is there anything that can be done to make the background transparent once imported (bit-mapped) to VW/RW?

TIA,

L.

In RW9 you can assign the background as transparent. This is not possible in VW 8.5.2, but I would recommend you create your text in VW then use the "True Type to Polyline" tool to make the text into an extrudable object. In 8.5.2 there is some clean up that has to happen (you have the clip the voids out of "0" and "B" etc.) but in 9 it works beautifully. Then once you extrude it you can apply any material you want.

Good Luck

• 2 months later...

You need to have 2 copy's of your texture. One of the image with a white background, and another that the image is all white with a black background. The second image can have no color and no gray scale, just a white image on a black background.The go to Resources PaletteSelect "New"Select "Texture"Under "Color" Select "Image color"Select your first image (in color with white background)Then go to "Transparency"Select "Image mask"Select you second image (White w/ Black background)Set your scale for your imageYour Done

I've made some people and trees using this technique. It works pretty well.

You have to have VW and RW 9 for any of this to work and it only works with the Ray Trace Rendering Engine.

Good Luck