VW2013 obsolete, need to "upgrade" to (i.e buy) VW2018 -- VW2022

VW 2013 with Renderworks (US only) on Windows 10 on PC

I'm long retired, and using VW 2013 for a couple of side projects a year. My latest drafting project, done via PDF, requires DWG files for my Architect/client's records. But each time I try to export to DWG or DXF, I get a "TEIGHA" (Open Design Alliance) error message. That may be due to my out-dated software. The VW Community Forum was unable to come-up with a fix. So, I'm considering upgrading to a newer version. But I have a few questions before I decide what to do. Other than the DWG glitch, VW2013 suits my needs.

1. Will VW 2022 open 2013 files? If not, how far back do I need to go, to get something compatible with 2013?

2. VW 2022 Architect is listed at $3,045 on the VW site, and $2,164 on NOVEDGE. What's the catch? For my basic, mostly 2D projects, I don't really need all the bells & whistles, such as BIM. Even the subscription price adds-up to $1,836 per year.

3. Both new prices are over my bottom-line budget. So how can I get an older version that will open VW 2013 files and export DWG files? I assume VW 2018 is the cut-off for software still supported by VW. Can I verify the license, before buying? Any typical  problems with second-hand software?

Answers and Suggestions will be appreciated.

Edited by JHEarcht3
On 7/1/2022 at 12:19 AM, JHEarcht3 said:

1. Will VW 2022 open 2013 files? If not, how far back do I need to go, to get something compatible with 2013?

Yes it will open VW2013 files

On 7/1/2022 at 12:19 AM, JHEarcht3 said:

3. Both new prices are over my bottom-line budget. So how can I get an older version that will open VW 2013 files and export DWG files? I assume VW 2018 is the cut-off for software still supported by VW. Can I verify the license, before buying? Any typical  problems with second-hand software?

There was a serious slowness issue with VW2017/2018 that got mostly resolved in VW2019. For simple(r) drawings it was not noticeable, but for complex drawings there was a greater chance for the issue to occur. Though not everyone was affected it was a real problem for those who were affected including me. Depending on the size of your projects and use of e.g. survey data this may or may not be an issue when getting VW2018.

I would suggesst to aim for VW2020 to be on the safe side, also with regard to DWG compatibility as the most recent DWG file format is DWG2018 which may not be supported by VW2018 but will be supported by VW2019 and later. Though ODA has a file converter that you can use to convert DWG2018 files to an older DWG version should you buy VW2018, so the DWG file version support can be solved.

VW2013 still works well in general, but now it won't export DWG files, which is currently an issue for a client. So, I need a US license for my occasional post-retirement side-gigs. The full price and subscription price are more than what I make on a porch addition. And most of the VW licenses for sale on this thread are from outside the US, where I suppose VW competes better with ACAD. Any US licenses available for VW 2019 - 2022?

On 7/9/2022 at 12:12 AM, JHEarcht3 said:

VW2013 still works well in general, but now it won't export DWG files, which is currently an issue for a client. So, I need a US license for my occasional post-retirement side-gigs. The full price and subscription price are more than what I make on a porch addition. And most of the VW licenses for sale on this thread are from outside the US, where I suppose VW competes better with ACAD. Any US licenses available for VW 2019 - 2022?

There are quite a few users from outside the US who use the US International version of Vectorworks, that is basically the same version as the regular US version. In the past local distributors could include some libraries with local stuff but as of the past few years it is just the US version without further additions, so you can safely buy a US international license from someone from outside the US and you should be good to go.

• 1 month later...

Ajmal

Yes, it is a Windows version, But no, I'm retired, so this obsolete version is sufficient for my needs. On my old obsolete computer though, it wouldn't export DWG files. And my client needed them. So, I bought a new computer, and it now exports ACAD files with no problem. I no longer need to upgrade.

VW 2013 is a mature CAD software, and is good for 2D drafting, but very limited for 3D rendering. A newer version might be better for BIM on large complex projects with multiple users. But, I suspect that you would still need an add-on program for sophisticated 3D work.

You should be able to find a 2013 version. But, in my search for a newer version, almost all of the available software was in European versions. That may not make any difference to you.