3d people w/clothes

the pang

Does anyone know of a good source for 3d people. I have a couple but they have no clothes and this makes it awkward to use them in a corporate setting. I guess I could plug in some 2d folks from photoshop but they would look like paper dolls from some views.

Thanks

the pang

I've found that exporting the rendering as an image and then adding people in photoshop to be the most efficient method of adding realistic people to a rendering. The 3-D people I've seen are either dumb looking, or so complex that they are not useful in VW/ RW.

Good Luck

just for fun, I just tried exporting dxf from Poser 3 into VW9. It worked well enough, but the resulting figure is heavily triangulated, and not really usable, as colors also get Very Wierd.

I have to go with MikeB, here. Look at GBlyth's entry near the bottom of 'Post Your RW 9 Renderings!' for some good advice on the topic, as well as a good source for 2D people.

Thanks I saw the posting of GBlyth's. I'll look into the 2d alternatives. Guess it was just wishful thinking

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by ajs:

just for fun, I just tried exporting dxf from Poser 3 into VW9. It worked well enough, but the resulting figure is heavily triangulated, and not really usable, as colors also get Very Wierd.

I have to go with MikeB, here. Look at GBlyth's entry near the bottom of 'Post Your RW 9 Renderings!' for some good advice on the topic, as well as a good source for 2D people.

• 3 months later...

We really need 3D people in VW/RW!

It sometimes defeats the purpose of producing a model for acurate renderings if a 2D image of a person is pasted over the VectorWorks world.

There are other times when a concept sketch can simply have a little photoshop retouching, but I'm trying to use SPOTLIGHT and RW to get real simulations of people in the actual lighting model.

Aren't there any 3D people symbols for VectorWorks/RenderWorks users?

------------------

Eric Chenault

Lighting Design

eric@ecld.net

With RW9 Alpha Channel Transparency (?) is supported. What this means is you can make a bilboard of a person and make area around the image transparent. This works great for trees. People are a little harder because of the lighting and the angle.

Untimatly this is probably the only real solution for realistic people for awhile, at least in RW. Higher end programs will probably work better, but I still think the rendering time for a scene with several people fully modeled would be enormous.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

I have created a library of flat 3D people. I imported phots of people into RW, traced them with the polygon tool, extruded them an inch or two. I then take the photo and map it onto the 3D form I created. Since models are flat I create my view and turn the people to the right perspective. The mapping is not always perfect but I can fix it later in photoshop. I dont mean to give a plug here but I got the disk of photos from www.imagecels.com.

remarkr I dont know if you are useing RW9 but the Alpha channel transparency makes what you are trying to do simpler. You can assign the background of an image as transparent so you can map your person on a simple 3-D polygon. No tracing necessary.

It's a pretty cool new feature.

Good Luck

• 10 months later...