Auto-updating Text Field for Time of Publish

Hello! I am using Vectorworks to create stage plots for a show and, like all things, the stage plots are constantly changing. Is there a way to add a text field that auto updates to the current time and date upon publishing? It would be very convenient to always know if the sheet that our team has in front of them is the most current and we do that by referencing the time the item was published. Currently I update the text box with a custom linked value right before I publish. But I would love if it would just do it on it's own. I tried using data tags and custom linked values but could not find a way to make it work like I want. Any ideas or work arounds?

Yes.

In the Title Block Border object there is a field available called Current Plot Date. If you link a block of text to that value in the Title Block Border Layout edit window, then this should update accordingly every time you publish.

Sadly this field does not include a time stamp (to my knowledge). However, this can be achieved by adding a data tag within the Title Block Border layout window and using the General Function Data Source. I use the Time Stamp Long format.

When you publish to a pdf, you need to make sure that the PDF Export options have "Reset all Plug-in objects that require a reset......" checked.

You can also explore the File Export options of the Publish command dialog. This will allow you to append a date to the published document's file name.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 2
  • 5 months later...

The Stamp Tool automatically updates the date and time when you publish to a pdf.  Besides the Date and Time it also shows the File Name but if you just need the date (as I do), go into the Properties and deselect everything except the Date.  Works great.  Works, also when printing or exporting to a pdf.

As mentioned in previous post:

"When you publish to a pdf, you need to make sure that the PDF Export options have "Reset all Plug-in objects that require a reset......" checked."

• Like 1