how to make transparent glass

In VW8

Go To

Resources Palette

New

Texture

Shader

Hit the four little balls in the upper right hand corner.

Scroll to the bottom of the available shaders to the pink ones. They will take on the object color when applied to an object. There is one called plain glass. Select it

Click the check mark

Click the check mark again

When it asks for scale, this dosen't really matter for glass so hit OK

Set your transparency slider most of the way to the right. ( you can adjust this to taste later)

Name the texture.

Hit Ok

Select your object

Set the color in the attributes palette

select the texture tab on the Object Information palette

Assign the texture.

render

That should do it.

Good Luck

That was extremely helpful. Thanks!

BTW, when rendering cubes of material it seems like each facet of the sides of the cube has a different reflection of the underlying surface.

I.e. suppose I place X objects (small, flat and extruded) on a plane, then place an extruded transparent glass cube on top. Then I look at it in an isometric view... I see X objects in one facet, and X objects in another and each are scaled differently. In other words I'm seeing 2X total, where there are only X objects.

Any ideas?

No Problem,

I've notice wierd reflections in RW8 as well. Its like it reflects things that are beyond the glass. I don't think this happens in real life. I asked tech support about it and they said it does happen in real life, so I don't know. I suppose we all percieve our reality differently.

That was extremely helpful. Thanks!

BTW, when rendering cubes of material it seems like each facet of the sides of the cube has a different reflection of the underlying surface.

I.e. suppose I place X objects (small, flat and extruded) on a plane, then place an extruded transparent glass cube on top. Then I look at it in an isometric view... I see X objects in one facet, and X objects in another and each are scaled differently. In other words I'm seeing 2X total, where there are only X objects.

Any ideas?

Sorry about the duplicate post... I hit the back button out of reflex.

While I agree that it is possible, it may not be likely to see the multiple reflections. I wonder if there is some sort of control over the refractive index of the material.

I would think there is something which corresponds to refractive index, else you wouldn't see the magnification in each of the facets of the transmissive object. The question is, is this something that we can access and adjust?

Jared

In RW8 the answer is no. Now I've been using RW9 for a couple weeks and there is a huge imporvment in texture creation and controll. But at the same time I've had a great deal of difficulty lately. Crashing mostly. If NNA can get the bugs out, RW9 rivals anything out there, espically for the money

[This message has been edited by MikeB (edited 05-11-2001).]

MikeB

You by any chance trying to mix RW 8 and 9 textures in a VW9 document? That seems to be an Express Elevator to Hell, as RW9 only seems to like RW9 textures. On Mac OS, it'll crash left, right and center if you mix texture versions, but behaves much better if you don't. Dunno about Windows.

ajs,

Yes I agree with that, and I've sent a VW8 file to NNA for them to look at. Still haven't heard anything.

A new issue for me seems to be a problem in RW9 with transparency, I've had a ton of crashes with a file. It was all new RW9 stuff, but it still crashes.