RenderWorks 9 does neither

ajs

I have installed VW9/RW9 in my G4/450 dual, 1G, 30G, with ATI nexus 128 and Rage 128 Pro, system 9.0.4, updated ATI Drivers.

When using my render preview button,the rendering quality is anywhere from worse to much worse than with RW8. Wierd color shifts, actual 'holes' in the renders. Final quality RW renders abort due to memory problems, even though the software is using less than 25% of its available 250M.Custom quality renders can sometimes complete, but I use the preview button to check pieces of the scene without rendering the whole bloody thing, and this is intolerable.

If the scene is at all complex, any of fast, final, or custom quality RW renders will usually crash the program or the machine.

OpenGL renders seem to work alright, but their quality is way too low for my needs.

Is this related to the video issue I see discussed in the General Message Board? I have not expereinced the missing rulers or handles thing.

It goes without saying that my other software exhibits none of these behaviors. I am starting to feel more than a little stupid/sent to the claeners for making this upgrade.

Any clues would be helpful. A fix would be even better-I got deadlines to hit with product.

-ajs

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by ajs:

I have installed VW9/RW9 in my G4/450 dual, 1G, 30G, with ATI nexus 128 and Rage 128 Pro, system 9.0.4, updated ATI Drivers.

When using my render preview button,the rendering quality is anywhere from worse to much worse than with RW8. Wierd color shifts, actual 'holes' in the renders. Final quality RW renders abort due to memory problems, even though the software is using less than 25% of its available 250M.Custom quality renders can sometimes complete, but I use the preview button to check pieces of the scene without rendering the whole bloody thing, and this is intolerable.

If the scene is at all complex, any of fast, final, or custom quality RW renders will usually crash the program or the machine.

OpenGL renders seem to work alright, but their quality is way too low for my needs.

I just ran into a "not enough memory" problem while rendering a very small file of ? 250 K !!

I have 100 MB allocated to VectorWorks 9.0 and have 285 MB Virtual Memory.

Mac PPC G3 266 Mhz, 288 Mb, MacOs 9.0.4, RenderWorks 9.0

Would appreciate advice.

kind regards,

Jan W.Henssen

architect

------------------

Triadd, buro voor architectonische vormgeving

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed several bugs and system and crashes as well.

Here is what I did:

It seems to work is if you render little sections of the complex model and copy and paste/compose in Photoshop.

You can then save the Photoshop file and import back into VW for comping and dimensions etc... Make sure you keep track of your resolutions, ratios....

Its a real pain in the ass, but it seems to work - rather than crash the system.

I crashed about 10 times today...

I hope the programers post a bug fix soon...

What happend to the warning: not enough memory before you render as in VW/RW8.5.2?

-Troy

One more note-

RW9 Does not like it when you duplicate existing textures and then change the image. (for example-was useful in VW8 for creating multiple CD covers-all the same size in a retail music department)

After much trial and error in VW 9 I found that it's best to create textures one by one- and map one by one (WHAT A PAIN) I created one object, mapped the texture and took note of the settings... (at least this was the only way that my model would render with out crashes, holes and funky colors)

-Troy

Principal

Koulian Williams Design Group