Photoshop Textures

edezuzio

Has anyone experimented with using PhotoShop, or Illustrator for creating textures? I am working on a project that requires an Antiqued finish, have the texture created in PhotoShop, but can't seem to get the initial size right off the bat. Seems all the cracks in the finish merge into one combined color.

Is there an actual physical size best suited for this? A best resolution?

BTW, I have read a few of the posts about textures. Some of you may want to look into clip art albums for web page design. Textures are overly abundant. I do like the best suggestion so far and that is to take an actual picture or scan of the desired texture. I am enjoying these VW programs a great deal.

Thanks in advance.

I use Photoshop (5 and 6) all the time for VW Textures. What I usually do is work on my texture in scale, or at least in proportion, to my final use in VW.

Then, in the VW Edit Texture Window, I just enter the size of the object that I am texturing. This way, I have the best chance of the finished texture scaling out in the VW document the way it's supposed to. Sometimes I have to fool with te scaling in the mapping window, but not too much.

Usually, it is a bigger problem just getting a complex texture to show up in the preview window.

Perhaps you need to scale your texture (or set a smaller Feature Size)up a tad for the details to be seen in your render?

HTH

Indeed, scaling the texture worked pretty well. I lost some of the depth of the texture in RW but it does look fine.

As an experiment I grabbed a screen capture of an amlost completed version of the drawing and sent it to PhotoShop. Clipping and masking went without a hitch as I altered the colors in VW to assist in this.

At least I know I can get the depth in the texture if I ever need to. Thank You for your input.

Another question for you...

My finished project in VW is 3" to a Foot, would I then define my working texture area in PhotoShop as a 3" square?

Regards,

Ed

Indeed, scaling the texture worked pretty well. I lost some of the depth of the texture in RW but it does look fine.

As an experiment I grabbed a screen capture of an amlost completed version of the drawing and sent it to PhotoShop. Clipping and masking went without a hitch as I altered the colors in VW to assist in this.

At least I know I can get the depth in the texture if I ever need to. Thank You for your input.

Another question for you...

My finished project in VW is 3" to a Foot, would I then define my working texture area in PhotoShop as a 3" square?

Regards,

Ed

I'm not completely sure what you are asking here. But if I am understanding you, my way of dealing with this has more to do with the size of the object, rather than the scale of the drawing.

If, for instance, I am going to apply my Photoshop work to something 10'x 15', I might do the Photoshop work at 10" x 15", or even 2"x 3". Then, when the texture is created, I would set the feature size to 15', which would cause the texture to scale to my 15' dimension, regardless of what scale I was working in.

The governing factor is usually 'how small can I work in Photoshop?', because those files get large quickly, and that adds a lot of overhead to my VW model. That overhead can really hose the project-if you have a lot of big texture files, the VW rendering engine gets pretty whimsical/uppity pretty fast.

Depending on the object, you can also export to Photoshop and hand render your texture onto the export. As you might guess, though, that trick works a lot better/more easily for flat surfaces than complex geometries.

Bon Chance

That answers the question completly. Thank You!

Ed

If, for instance, I am going to apply my Photoshop work to something 10'x 15', I might do the Photoshop work at 10" x 15", or even 2"x 3". Then, when the texture is created, I would set the feature size to 15', which would cause the texture to scale to my 15' dimension, regardless of what scale I was working in.