HELP! Trying to create a nurb between nurbs or line on face

Super smart people!  

I need to run an extruded shape on the face of this shape at specific distances from the top line on the face.  The extruded unit would match the profile of the top but fit the curves at that height. Each side slopes down differently.  HELP!  Can I make a nurb a certain distance from one nurb to another or split the shape up somehow to facilitate!? Going crazy!

image.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 2.41.08 PM.png

Edited by blanger

The details depend on what you want to do, exactly.  You can extract a NURBS curve from the corner of a shape, then "extrude along path."  Creating the right shape to extract that curve from would be my approach.  Getting exactly what you want where you want it might require some creative moves.

2 hours ago, P Retondo said:

The details depend on what you want to do, exactly.  You can extract a NURBS curve from the corner of a shape, then "extrude along path."  Creating the right shape to extract that curve from would be my approach.  Getting exactly what you want where you want it might require some creative moves.

Yes I'm able to do that with the top edge but the lines along the face don't match because the face tapers in... and doesn't taper in regularly.

1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

Can you post a file with the solid shape. I have a couple of ideas, but need to see your shape to figure out if they will work or not.

I really appreciate it - I will send privately as its an active project and that was just a portion as a "for instance."

16 hours ago, Tom W. said:

If the solid tapers inwards, can you Extract the top surface, lower it the required amount then use the Analysis Tool in first mode to create NURBS Curves on the sides of the solid where the Surface intersects it?

I haven't used the Analysis tool before. But the idea of lowering it is interesting.  I even tried creating tubes with the top profile as the center of the diameter to get the line on the face but couldn't get all the shapes to subtract out to give me the lines.  AHHHH.

There may be a better way, but I made something that I think works. There are a lot of destructive steps in doing this, so make sure you have backups and make copies of objects. I like to work on differently layers and inside of group to minimize the things I need to look at. I also like to move things a fixed distance so I don't accidentally snap to other objects.  Here is what I did:

Duplicate the "wall"

Go to a Front View

Move the wall up 20' in the Y direction (or however far you need to be out of the working space of the other objects in the drawing.

I moved this to a different layer, but that was just my preference.

Use the Extract tool and extract the Surfaces of the top of the wall.  I think I ended up with a group of 22 Nurbs Surfaces.

Enter the group, select all, and Add Solids. This gave me a single very think Solid Addition the shape of the top of the wall.

Edit the Group and Ungroup to get the single solid addition sitting at the top of the wall.

Go to Front View and Move the thin down 6" (or however far you need to be from the top)

Duplicate the this Solid addition so you have as many of them as you have different pieces of wall.

Select a section of Wall and a copy of the thin and Intersect Solids. Repeat with the other sections of wall and copies of thins.

You should now have a number of solid intersections that represent the "section" of the wall 6" from the top.

Extract the Curves for the side of the wall you need.

Enter the Group.

Select All

Compose. When I did this I think I ended up with 5 NURBS curves.

Zoom way in (700,000%) and use the Reshape tool to move the end points of the curves so they are coincident.

Compose the sections. Repeat until you have a single NURBS Curve.

Exit Group

UnGroup.

Go to Front View

Move the NURBS Curve down 20'

You should now have a NURBS curve that follows the edge of the wall at 6" down from the sloping top edge.

Ask again if you need more detail. Or let me know if I can post a file with the various steps.

3 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

There may be a better way, but I made something that I think works. There are a lot of destructive steps in doing this, so make sure you have backups and make copies of objects. I like to work on differently layers and inside of group to minimize the things I need to look at. I also like to move things a fixed distance so I don't accidentally snap to other objects.  Here is what I did:

Duplicate the "wall"

Go to a Front View

Move the wall up 20' in the Y direction (or however far you need to be out of the working space of the other objects in the drawing.

I moved this to a different layer, but that was just my preference.

Use the Extract tool and extract the Surfaces of the top of the wall.  I think I ended up with a group of 22 Nurbs Surfaces.

Enter the group, select all, and Add Solids. This gave me a single very think Solid Addition the shape of the top of the wall.

Edit the Group and Ungroup to get the single solid addition sitting at the top of the wall.

Go to Front View and Move the thin down 6" (or however far you need to be from the top)

Duplicate the this Solid addition so you have as many of them as you have different pieces of wall.

Select a section of Wall and a copy of the thin and Intersect Solids. Repeat with the other sections of wall and copies of thins.

You should now have a number of solid intersections that represent the "section" of the wall 6" from the top.

Extract the Curves for the side of the wall you need.

Enter the Group.

Select All

Compose. When I did this I think I ended up with 5 NURBS curves.

Zoom way in (700,000%) and use the Reshape tool to move the end points of the curves so they are coincident.

Compose the sections. Repeat until you have a single NURBS Curve.

Exit Group

UnGroup.

Go to Front View

Move the NURBS Curve down 20'

You should now have a NURBS curve that follows the edge of the wall at 6" down from the sloping top edge.

Ask again if you need more detail. Or let me know if I can post a file with the various steps.

Its going to take me a moment to wrap my head around this!! Thank you!

1 hour ago, twk said:

Care to share just the model portion of the file? Willing to have a crack at it as well. What about converting it to subdivision and using the split mode?

I wasn't able to convert to subdivision.  I guess its harmless enough to post this piece.  

Thanks for looking!

TestFile.vwx

6 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

@Tom W. Please explain the Analysis method. I played with the analysis tool and could not figure out how to make it do what you are showing.

I just tried.

• Extract top face

• Lower to desired level

• Click Analysis Tool in First Mode

• Click on Extracted Face

• Click on Main Object

• Delete Extracted Face to Reveal Path.

not bad!!!