Spotlight will only let me light up 8 fixtures at a time.

Andrew w

Question

I'm having an issue in spotlight.  I can only have 8 lighting devices on at a time, even if the 9th device is set to be on it will not show an output.  Is this an issue with layers or classes or something else all together?  I'm using the latest version of Vectorworks, any help is greatly appriciated.  

Andrew

9 answers to this question

Guest Wes Gardner

@Andrew w this is correct and is a limitation when rendering in OpenGL/Shaded (we changed the name for '22)...all lights should show if you use a more advanced rendering style

Wes

18 hours ago, JustinH said:

Shaded render mode in Vectorworks 2022 supports 8 lights only. Shaded render mode in Vectorworks 2023 removes that limitation and has a Document Preference called "Limit Shaded render mode to 8 lights" to preserve the look of 2022 and older files. VW2023 Shaded supports lit fog and other effects:

Now that is a nice improvement.

I imagine everybody remembers the day they learned their lights weren't showing up due to the limit of 8, usually after hours of trying to figure out why.

• Laugh 1

This post was really helpful, thanks! Great to see Shaded be more useful.

I have a related question. I can't get gobos to show up in Fast or Final Renderworks, only Shaded. I'm trying to use beams of light to shoot gobos through "lit fog", and they ONLY show up in Shaded, not renderworks. Anyone got an idea?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In your Rendeworks Background make sure you have the "Receive Shadows" selected in addition to having the Lit Fog option checked and the fog density set.
Just as a warning it rendering will take a lot longer when you enable "Receive Shadows" for the background.