Autocad layers are not importing as classes.

cautiously optimistic

Question

Hello and thank you for taking the time to help me out. I am very new to Vectorworks, having just downloaded it a few days ago. I am attempting to set up a new project. I've imported the survey several times, but the CAD layers don't convert to classes, they all get lumped in the "none" class. I check the advanced import functions and the classes and layers tabs shows the CAD layers, and the box is checked to convert them to classes, yet it isn't happening. I've watched hours of Youtube videos and scoured this site, but I cannot find any solution. I've followed directions from three different Youtubers for the proper way to import a survey, but it still won't work. Any thoughts on how to fix this? What am I missing?

7 answers to this question

16 hours ago, jeff prince said:

Everything imported fine for me, see attached.  Also, when you import, be sure to set your Classes/Layers like the attached image, choosing the "layers" radio button instead of "classes" is typically highly undesired 🙂

imported.vwx 1.25 MB · 1 download

Interesting. Thank you for taking the time to run this. So I opened your version and the classes are there as they should be. So I tried it again on my system in a fresh new drawing, and again there are no classes imported. Here are my settings during import...

image.thumb.png.2ce70ce47acf7d6f26f59c6e31231088.png

From the manage tab it is seeing the CAD layers, but after import this is my classes list. 

image.png.b2716ea4722d6dae529a585689efcf36.png

I'm really baffled here. 

Edited by cautiously optimistic
5 hours ago, cautiously optimistic said:

I'm really baffled here. 

Me too 🙂

I think you need to contact Vectorworks Support.

Perhaps it has something to do with your "add prefix" setting?  Once you have imported the file, Vectorworks will present a dialog box with a button for "details". Clicking this will create a text report on how the import went.  Perhaps the source of this problem will be identified there?