Can you apply a Decal to a Wall which is textured by component?

Tom W.

I can apply the following Decal to a textured extrude + all is fine:

1165793323_Screenshot2022-06-21at16_44_06.thumb.png.1d2eafbef28b336fd6bfcd5220afc039.png

But when I try to do the same on my Wall - where I really want to put it - the decal's nowhere to be seen. Is it because the Wall is textured by component? I didn't try texturing it by object because I don't want to change that. I ended up applying the image to a rectangle + placing the rectangle on the wall:

972855412_Screenshot2022-06-21at16_46_02.thumb.png.f0cdb9c71684cb94a4ca9bb07982aa7b.png

Is this the only way to achieve what I want or should I be doing something different?

I also tried applying the texture to a NURBS Surface + placing that in front of the Wall but that didn't look so good for some reason

Thanks

• Like 1
On 6/21/2022 at 12:10 PM, Tom W. said:

I can apply the following Decal to a textured extrude + all is fine:

1165793323_Screenshot2022-06-21at16_44_06.thumb.png.1d2eafbef28b336fd6bfcd5220afc039.png

But when I try to do the same on my Wall - where I really want to put it - the decal's nowhere to be seen. Is it because the Wall is textured by component? I didn't try texturing it by object because I don't want to change that. I ended up applying the image to a rectangle + placing the rectangle on the wall:

972855412_Screenshot2022-06-21at16_46_02.thumb.png.f0cdb9c71684cb94a4ca9bb07982aa7b.png

Is this the only way to achieve what I want or should I be doing something different?

I also tried applying the texture to a NURBS Surface + placing that in front of the Wall but that didn't look so good for some reason

Thanks

I have posted about similar situations with packaging models and YES that's  the only way I have found  to do what you want. On round cans I have to apply the graphic and transparency mask to a matching 3D surface set off the object just enough to not interfere. If you look very close you you can see a shadow from the graphic. Also if you are mocking up visuals with solid shapes the mapped graphic shows in reverse on the other side. In the past when I have used FormZ for renderings. FormZ software has for years allowed stacking of multiple textures on shapes with out having to fake it. I had to stop using FZ because my company refused to support multiple platforms $$$ going for a multi-use platform to save money.

Edited by rjtiedeman

@rjtiedeman I remember your posts now. I hadn't used Decals at that point. Like I say I found it ok applying them to 3D solids, albeit quite fiddly to get them arranged the way I wanted them, but had hoped to be able to apply them to Wall objects as well. Apparently not.

This was another one I did:

1874749282_Screenshot2022-06-18at15_08_12.thumb.png.b17e075c2b7879eb7bf9da181a0db215.png

Here the Decals are applied to the orange parasol but for some reason they stopped displaying. I had to edit the decal + mess around with it a bit + then it came back...

As I said elsewhere be great if they would display in Shaded.

What format are you using for decals. PSD, JPG, or PNG  ????? I normally use photoshop and save the transparency as ALPHA channel in psd. Yes adding graphics can be fussy and time consuming. The Tool Package rendering attached was designed and rendered in VW. The graphics on the sockets were a pain but its the only way to get the effect. This was done in VW 2017 or 18. Mapping graphics has not improved much since then.

GripTite PRO 10PC case MM RJT.jpg

• Like 2

Wall components are not available in Vectorworks Fundamentals . So I would have no way to experiment. However walls don't behave like the solids that I use in building design mockups. So I would say no. In any case the the decal would have to be a rectangular label with out transparency since if you apply a decal with transparency to a solid the solid disappears as would the wall. I would love to know the answer if you find it. 

some experiments I posted. 

Ok I played around some more + this time got it to work. This is a Decal applied to a Wall with components:

51442039_Screenshot2022-06-26at07_09_56.png.27c1049095e9e39b6567135e2d512c8b.png

But the way I did it was to first create a generic Wall with the textures applied by object; used texture overrides to apply the Decal to the right side of the Wall; then replaced the Wall style with the component-based Wall of my choice + the Decal remains on the Wall in the model although it is no longer shown in the OIP...

1163051351_Screenshot2022-06-26at07_12_19.png.dc242cbc9a8319fe265aa7aaa0382c2c.png

So you have to do all the sizing/rotating/positioning of the Decal in the 'first' Wall before converting it into a component Wall because once you've done so you no longer have access to edit it...

(Edit: actually the correct way to look at it is, you take your By Component mode Wall, change it to By Object mode, add the Decal, then change back to By Component mode. Then any time you want to edit the Decal switch back to By Object again. Simple 🙂)

Which brings me to another thing which is really confusing: most times when I apply a Decal it's nowhere to be seen + I have to randomly adjust the H + V offsets in the OIP until I catch glimpse of it. Because Decals don't display in Shaded this means using Fast Renderworks so you're not seeing the results in real time. The H + V directions don't seem to follow any logic which further adds to the confusion + the time it takes to 'find' the Decal... But anyway good to get there in the end...

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 2