can't render!

jorge

Believe it or not you may need to lower your VW allocation to render. RenderWorks dosent use allocated ram to render it uses free ram. If your VW allocation is too high your system will run out of memory as the Ray trace engine ties up free ram as it tries to render the image. Also you can try to turn your VM way up ( I've been led to believe that you can increase it by 1/2 of your real ram ) Other than that you just may need more ram.

How big (Mb)is the file?

Also if you have alot of transparent or reflective materials RW may not be able to handle it with the ram that is available.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by MikeB (edited 12-09-2000).]

I usually have mine at 25 mb. If that won't work you could increase it in 5 Mb increments. Your VM could also be set at around 420 Mb without causing any problems. My renderings are usually between 4 Mb to up to 12 Mb. I can render on screen with no problems. Exporting as an image can be a little more complex.

I do assume you have been talking about rendering on screen. Right?

Another trick is to make a copy of the file and delete anything that is not in this particular view. This will lower the polygon count and make the object use less memory while rendering.

Also multiple light sources can cause problems too. Try to keep them to a minimum.

Good Luck

Exporting is really not that big a deal. You just render on screen and then select the "Export Image File" under the "Export" item on the "File" menu. One thing I figured out is in the export dialogue the dpi setting has no bearing the resolution of the final output. To increase the resolution you have to increase you pixel dimension which is expressed in the two numbers at the top left of the dialogue. These number default to the size of your perspective marque but you can increase them. Of course the larger the pixel dimension the longer it will take to export. Ive had trouble with anything larger than 3000 x 2000 pixels (or vice versa).

And again transparent and reflective objects as well as multiple light sources will increase the memory requirement and the length of time it takes to export more than anything else.

Have you had any luck rendering on screen yet?