VW crashing with any workspace change.

Question

Not looking for an answer as much as just letting 'the powers that be' know what is happening.

Anytime I change my workspace - rearrange my pallet, add or change a right click menu, change a keyboard shortcut - VW saves the change, but after the workspace editor closes but before the changes take effect, VW does a hard shutdown.

It does save the workspace changes so when I reopen everything is as I wanted, but until I realized this, I was losing work as I never thought to save before opening the workspace editor.

Win 11pro build 21H2

VW2022 SP3.1 Build 646432

i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz   1.50 GHz w/ 32gb memory

8 answers to this question

Hi @hollister design Studio

To help you and others who find this post, I offer the following:

1. A  post like this is not an effective way to reach 'the powers that be.' Unless the content of your post is extreme, unique, or garners a lot of Forum activity, the best way to reach them is by contacting your local distributor who will help you or qualify issues before escalating them to the right department. 
  2. It is almost an absolute certainty that you are affected by a known issue and you should not leave it unattended. This issue is address by Vectorworks Inc in the article below. You will find more refined solutions in several comments made by me below the article. My most recent comment is probably the most helpful. 

8 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

How does one find and contact our local distributor?

It looks like you are in the USA, so contacting Vectorworks Inc themselves is the way to go. However, as you're a member of Vectorworks Service Select, you will get priority support if you cite your VSS number when submitting. It looks something like USA 1234 1234 123. Contact options are listed in the 'Support' section of the Vectorworks Customer Portal. 

But before you do: I highly recommend you make use of the information in that discussion. It will almost certainly resolve this issue for you as it has done for everyone else I've helped with these symptoms. See the main article, then my comment that has refined instructions

• Like 2

@Jeremy Best

Again thanks for all of this.

I looked that discussion over - I have none of those apps on startup.

I'm running a Surface book 3 with a Quadro card - so not much bloatware plus I always set almost everything to 'off' in startup.

the only apps I have set to on at startup are 

• Dropbox
  • OneDrive
  • Realtek HD audio - maybe this is the culprit?
  • surface DTX
  • Vectorworks Cloud Services - or maybe this one is messing me up!
  • Windows Security notification icon

Everything else is set to off.

the dll issues are only related to NahimicOSD correct?

11 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

the dll issues are only related to NahimicOSD correct?

No. The main article posted by Vectorworks lists many other DLLs (and the programs that use them), however as per my first comment in that discussion, my experience suggests they might have at least one false positive in there (graphics-hook64.dll) and I'm pretty sure there will be other DLLs they haven't identified yet that also cause conflict. 

If you have Service Pack 3 installed, and if you haven't chosen for it to stop displaying, Vectorworks 2022 will warn you if certain DLLs are installed that cause problems. But if Vectorworks Inc's list is incomplete, it won't know to warn about other DLLs that are conflicting. Therefore…

The solution is to use the various insights added to that discussion to help you isolate any other DLLs causing issues. If you can't find them, then turn to your local Tech Support provider. Really, our discussion should continue in that thread so other users and support agents can benefit from this.

There is some chance something unique is causing your crashes - the most likely alternative would be out of date or corrupt graphics card drivers - however based on the symptoms you've described I still think it is more likely you are experiencing the conflicts described in the direct X article, and that you may be affected by software/DLLs that have not been previously reported/identified. 

Have a go sleuthing suspect software and related DLLs by browsing those the contents of the ProgramData folder and subfolders. If you need further assistance continue this query in the DirectX discussion and/or contact Tech Support USA. 

Great links - thank you.

Yes, I think I will try to reset and rebuild first.

On 6/29/2022 at 10:26 PM, Jeremy Best said:

Back up your current Vectorworks User Folder, then do the Resetting Vectorworks Preferences process

Quick question, after the reset:

• do I start to copy in my settings to see if any start causing problem?
  • Or is it best to just take notes and rebuild from scratch?

Also, I have my user folder set to my onedrive in "vectorworks preferences/user folders/user data and preferences folder" - when VW recreates with it be in the fold I speced in my preferences or back at the default location?

On 7/2/2022 at 6:33 AM, hollister design Studio said:

after the reset:

• do I start to copy in my settings to see if any start causing problem?
  • Or is it best to just take notes and rebuild from scratch?

Once you have established that the problem has gone, you can reintroduce your custom Settings, templates, etc in whatever fashion you choose. Just make sure Vectorworks has finished quitting before you modify any content other than Libraries folder. The more granular your approach the longer it will take, but you'll also be able to know exactly the file/folder that contains the corruption/cause. Based on the symptoms/conditions you described I would try reintroducing everything except your workspace folder/files. If your Workspaces folder is empty I would leave out the whole Settings folder and just go through setting your Vectorworks Preferences again. 

On 7/2/2022 at 6:33 AM, hollister design Studio said:

Also, I have my user folder set to my onedrive in "vectorworks preferences/user folders/user data and preferences folder" - when VW recreates with it be in the fold I speced in my preferences or back at the default location?

The custom location of your Vectorworks User Folder is saved in the Windows Registry, so after you've deleted that data: Yes, Vectorworks will create the new User Folder in the default location. 

• Like 1