Apple Studio Display crashing VW

Matt Basher

Question

Is anyone else having this issue? I just upgraded to VW2022 after replacing my system with a Mac Studio and Studio Display. Everything seemed to work fine for a while, but in the last few days, using the extrude function will lock up VW and the display will go black. I have unplugged the Studio Display and am now using my secondary monitor with no issues. 

Any suggestions? Thanks

14 answers to this question

having similar issues with an ultra and studio display with a new LG 27" as a second monitor. In Vectorworks, sometimes entering values in a field in the OIP I get locked out of Vectorworks and the mouse only works on the second display. Happens randomly with Twinmotion as well. wireless mouse, apple mouse, wired mouse, doesn't matter. Able to save the file then no choice but to restart the machine. Seems random but must have something to do with unified memory. Happens with two non-apple monitors as well. When I get time to call Apple will update. perhaps related...

I'm also seeing this behavior with my Mac Studio.  What's strange is while waiting for the Mac Studio to arrive I had my MBP (M1 Max) hooked up to my 3 screens and it never locked a single time.

VWX 2022 SP4 Build 653494

macOS Monterey v12.4

Mac Studio M1 Ultra 128gb memory

Apple Studio Display + 2 LG UltraFine Displays.

I contacted apple as it smells like a graphics issue. of course since its not their software, won't touch it. Have also learned that Epic is not supporting apple silicon so the lock outs I'm seeing with Twinmotion (same behavior as Vectorworks) are in theory, not the same. So far have discovered if you turn down the resolution in Twinmotion, it appears to run OK. Still have an iMac Pro that may end up as a Twinmotion station until Apple and Epic decide to play nice. All that said, the graphics lockout I'm seeing in Vectorworks  has something to do with graphics demand on the chip so in the end, is unified memory a smart move?  You would think the lockout would happen if doing a heavy computational move or graphics hog (like rendering), but only happening simply entering data in the OIP

2 hours ago, jnr said:

is unified memory a smart move?

Basically I think YES.

But it seems that higher M1's like yours do not really scale well with GPU cores

as long as the App is not optimized to use tiled memory. In this case the

too small (*) graphic cache may overflow and GPU cores wait for delivery.

At least this is the most likely assumption I ever heard of.

((*) Rumored to be designed for I Pad SoCs many years ago without an M Ultra in mind)

But could be also be small update-able Firmware or Driver issues or App optimizations.

I also have such lockouts with larger files on my original M1 but just thought the the

Files are too complex for my 16 GB only memory.

For me many tasks went better with VW 2022 SP4.

But I think that should not happen with your Ultra specs.

Do the lockouts still appear if you unplug you second 4k monitor ?

• Like 2

Ugh. same here. Always locks up entering data in a field in the OIP. And its random.  Freezes the screen, forced to restart. No indication from Monterey that Vectorworks has stopped running. Just can't get back to its window. If just on a Studio display, you're dead in the water. If second monitor (new LG) in use, that screen is functional and allows me to save the work (still have to restart however).  M1 Ultra 64 gb ram.  Happens with a bluetooth mouse or hardwired. Tired to reach out to Apple, they won't touch it, blaming Vectorworks for the issue. I'd return the studio display if I could, in the end totally not worth it. 

In other news, similar behavior with Twinmotion 2022.2 (and .1). Word on the street is that Epic is not supporting Apple silicon. ostensibly, yet. Same behavior--locks up and a restart. Basically Twinmotion is now useless. if Epic and Apple continue to thumb their noses at each other, Enscape here we come... As luck would have it, thanks to Mark Aceto, still have an iMac Pro that runs Twinmotion so I can still work (more slowly).

All this dough, and yet abject dysfunction still abounds. 

Wear me out...

• Administrator

Hi All, thank you for your patience while we follow up on this issue. We have had similar reports with a Mac Studio/Studio Display. However, we are still gathering information to identify the cause of the problem. Next time you experience a crash, if you can note the time when it happens and send us the whole "Macintosh HD/Library/Logs" and "Macintosh HD/Users/Library/Logs" folders. That will be helpful.
jalmansa@vectorworks.net

Thanks,

• Like 1

I just came across this today. Apparently the version of iOS inside the Studio Display needs to be rebooted occasionally. The normal symptom is messed up camera and audio, but I could see it sending signals that would confuse MacOS and VW. 

The next time someone has a VW freeze problem, try unplugging the power from your Studio Display for about a minute and restarting. Let us know if that solves the problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253801414

• Like 4

I would like to direct you also to this post.

I'm not convinced it is solely a studio display issue. we have a lot of crash logs we could send you. interested?

On 7/24/2022 at 2:52 PM, JuanP said:

Hi All, thank you for your patience while we follow up on this issue. We have had similar reports with a Mac Studio/Studio Display. However, we are still gathering information to identify the cause of the problem. Next time you experience a crash, if you can note the time when it happens and send us the whole "Macintosh HD/Library/Logs" and "Macintosh HD/Users/Library/Logs" folders. That will be helpful.
jalmansa@vectorworks.net

Thanks,