Un-seen objects

James

Am I wrong, or does renderworks render the whole page, even when rendering a zoomed part of the page? Say my drawing is 8 x 11, and I zoom in to a 1x1 area for detail, if I render this view, it also renders the whole 8x11 sheet?

Also, does it render the back of the objects? It would seem that renderworks should only render the view, and not the un-seen objects. The result would be shorter rendering times.

James

James

Im not sure if RW renders the whole page or not, but I think it does, this is why they provide the render bitmap tool for rendering smaller parts of a view.

As to the back of objects, or unseen objects, raytrace technology moves from the viewer backward to the lightsource. So it traces the path from your eye to an object, then bounces off that object back to the lighsource (or light sources by creating multiple paths) if it encounters a solid the first surface is in shadow, and vice versa. There are seperate equations for transparency and reflectivity but the follow the same principal. So it would seem to me that it has to perform a calculation for all objects to it can determine wheather or not they are hidden.

It seem this is why RW cannot support refracted light, and indirect light sources like Form Z with radiosity. I'd be curious to know if there is any intent to include the radiosity technology into RW at any time in the future.

Good Luck