cleaning out library

A sample of a sub-system...something like this will now be done in mechanical cad.

Using VW for collecting and placing these systems on a site & working with civil for Northings & Eastings.

The shortcomings of mechanical cad are they don't work with the ground plane concept nor should they.

If someone developed a way to import mechanical cad models into a good 3d civil cad.

Auto CAD civil 3d doesn't count its terrible

VW VGM is the gold standard of what 3d should look like. (Onshape models import well)

Then you could say good by to Revit, BIM360, Archicad, etc

At this point I think I could do a bridge, sky scraper & definitely a house foundation,  in mechanical cad.

1069978200_ScreenShot2022-06-18at8_28_42AM.png.21a26a7d49cc1912dc126030be738ff7.png

There is this company I started to do work for...they are 99% mechanical so I recommended Onshape. They were going down the Solidworks route.

They have me around because they want some buildings etc. and as I have said before "mechanical cad is terrible for buildings..."

Then one particular msTeams meeting there cad guy showed the following image (see below)

Apparently I do not know what I'm talking about.

I am now rethinking my office paradigm...

My vw dept has now been reduced by 50% and I'm now pushing as much as I can into the mechanical cad side of my office.

DTM site stuff, Northing & Easting w/ elevations & Existing conditions 2d stuff, still has a strong foot hold in VW.

See those doors in the image? They are parametric.  Not parametric like we are typically use to (OIP).  But truly parametric stuff that you set up yourself to do exactly what you want...no need to wait for someone at vw to fix/imporve something for next years version...

407070205_Onshapebldg.thumb.png.4bd290407fc2a30b0bfd207deefbca45.png

• Like 2
12 hours ago, digitalcarbon said:

There is this company I started to do work for...they are 99% mechanical so I recommended Onshape. They were going down the Solidworks route.

They have me around because they want some buildings etc. and as I have said before "mechanical cad is terrible for buildings..."

Then one particular msTeams meeting there cad guy showed the following image (see below)

Apparently I do not know what I'm talking about.

I am now rethinking my office paradigm...

My vw dept has now been reduced by 50% and I'm now pushing as much as I can into the mechanical cad side of my office.

DTM site stuff, Northing & Easting w/ elevations & Existing conditions 2d stuff, still has a strong foot hold in VW.

See those doors in the image? They are parametric.  Not parametric like we are typically use to (OIP).  But truly parametric stuff that you set up yourself to do exactly what you want...no need to wait for someone at vw to fix/imporve something for next years version...

407070205_Onshapebldg.thumb.png.4bd290407fc2a30b0bfd207deefbca45.png

Is this Onshape moving into architecture or has Onshape long been able to do this?

Site stuff like this needs to be done in a program that can work with Northings & Eastings, UTM, Civil Stuff.

VW does a great job with this.  Model the mh fab drawings in Onshape...then import into VW and place in the correct xyz

The problem is, while the civil 3d people can import this model from vw...they cannot really deal with it...it seems that most of the 3d work they do is lines that are 3d which say "the end of this line (representing a pipe) is at invert XXX.Xft"  so they are not use to dealign with actual 3d models...

1580984169_ScreenShot2022-06-10at9_21_09AM.thumb.png.68e712c23014d36941dfeee205c8aea9.png

On 6/18/2022 at 12:09 PM, digitalcarbon said:

This is an excellent point. I'm beginning to think that many of the stock parametric PIO's are just a starting point for new users, and that I'm better off modeling the objects myself (like Rhino) because in the end, the stocks tools only get me 80% of the way there, and then I go down a rabbit hole of trying to find a workaround... They're a blessing and a curse but we don't have to use them. This is especially true of the ones that have been abandoned over the years.

Model it, slap a custom record on it, keep moving... 

On 6/18/2022 at 12:09 PM, digitalcarbon said:

How does Onshape compare to Solidworks when it comes to file interoperability with VW (being that VW and SW are both solids vs mesh-based, and built on Parasolid)? Is Onshape mesh-based?

It looks like Onshape is also Parasolid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasolid

Edited by Mark Aceto