Anyone have experience with two monitors & VW?

Jerry Baker

I am a new user of VectorWorks and have the latest version but my Mac workstation is temporarilly down till the new additional HD & RAM are installed in a few weeks and I can finally install the program and so I am spending my downtime reading the manuals associated with the new softwares that I have nailed down this summer.

I have not seen mention of wether or not, VM supports monitor mirroring or two monitors or not so that I can have a lot more tools/palettes open to use in one monitor and the total work area in the other monitor. Can someone please tell me if and or what your experience has been with VM doing it or if it will at all? I sure would appreciate it a lot.

This reply is not related to the MAC platform. I have run two monitors under Win98 for years, I bought VW8 and Win 2000 at the same time hoping to still run two monitors. Windows 2000 has an internal flaw that will only apply one monitor per Graphics Card Chip. So My Matrox G400 Dual Head can only run one monitor.

Buyer beware. Nothing in the windows 2000 advertising states this fact. Although I still run VW8 under Win2000 for the security piece of mind.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Ames:

I've been running two monitors with NT4.0, with a Colorgraphics Pro Lightning card just fine for a couple of years. Added VW8.5.1. a few months ago. Lots of room for pallets, etc.

With another graficcard you can use your second monitor. As i remember W2k supports up to 8 or 9 monitors.

-Hannes

• 2 weeks later...

We have one station in the office running 2 monitors with OS 8.6 and VW 8.5. What happens is that your desk top just gets extended. Its really a system thing and has very little to do with how VW operates. Its really pretty cool, and other than a slight color shift between monitors it works great. It is an older station and we did have to buy a new vidio card.

Good Luck

• 1 month later...

All of the above are correct.

Monitor mirroring or desktop extension is a function of the operating system. Vectorworks has nothing (little) to do with the capability.

If you're unable to use Vectorworks with multiple monitors its an OS issue. As a Mac user, you should have little problem installing a second graphics card and getting the second monitor up and running as a mirror or a desktop extension for your pallettes.

• 2 weeks later...

Allow me to brag about my two-monitor setup: It's a Mac, of course -- Powermac 9500, in fact. Remember those? Circa 1995. Plug-n-play simplicity. Primary monitor is a Sony Trinitron 21". Desktop extends to another 20" with same resolution. Seamless edges.

Software applications that benefit the most are (in rough order of advantageousness): VW, QuickbooksPro, MS IE browser, MS OE email, Photoshop, GoLive, FilemakerPro, DailyPlanner calendar, and of course Finder. Other smaller apps are set to open on the second monitor, so multitasking is a true joy.

You may never turn back to single monitor -- not even the 1600x1200 Apple Cinema Display.

------------------

Kenneth

• 2 months later...

Two monitors and Vectorworks really makes one's desktop productive...

I use a 21" Trinitron for my setup, which is nice, but eventually you run out of room as you make your workspace bigger... My 17" Studio Display begs for more space after getting spoiled on the 21 and my Powerbooks allow me mobility... However, I have set my assistant up with a Dual Processor G4/500 with two 3dFx Voodoo 5500 cards with two Apple Studio Display LCDs... Man, talk about a nice setup... Matt (my assistant) has really configured his viewspace nicely with Vectorworks running in the active screen (on the left LCD) with his pallets, internet/help access and various MS Office 2001 apps running on the right display... The neat thing that the Mac environment has allowed is this flexibility and customization.

Currently I am thinking about purchasing one more Voodoo card (before they are unavailable since 3dFx has gone out of biz...) and one of those new "flight simulator" 3-screen LCD setups...

I am looking forward to VW 9.x with OS X support, and to see what kind of speed the dual-processor environment will allow upcoming releases of Vectorworks to produce...

------------------

C M Harada

Perspectives Design

Group, ink

Denver, CO