coordinates of an object cannot be displayed in a worksheet?

yasin2ray

Question

I have a symbol that we use to identify specific locations and we need to display the latitude and longitude coordinates of each location. We have been using a Stake as a callout and have it set to display the lat and long coordinates in decimal degrees. I am now trying to show this coordinate information in a worksheet.

I do not know what function to use to get the latitude and longitude into the cells. (or it's not possible.) I tried using =ycoordinate, =xcoordinate, but this returns the x/y location in design space and not GIS coordinates. Since we set our files to be georeferenced and use an Adjusted Origin, the location will not be the distance from 0, 0. The function needs to understand the latitude and longitude coordinates.

Do you know what function I need to use?

Thanks!

Anna

(attachment is a screenshot of a worksheet I was messing around with to try to get this to work. It could have separate columns for latitude and longitude, or one column with both and with a comma between. It is showing the x/y distance from 0,0, not coordinates).

91303833_Screenshot_outfallcoordinatesissueinworksheet.jpg.4231723fcc2e514e9ea3779263fa854b.jpg 

3 answers to this question

Stake Objects have the following fields available.  Use the values from the second column in the database header of the worksheet.

Latitude    'Stake Object'.'Latitude' Longitude    'Stake Object'.'Longitude' Latitude WGS84    'Stake Object'.'Latitude WGS84' Longitude WGS84    'Stake Object'.'Longitude WGS84' Easting    'Stake Object'.'Easting' Northing    'Stake Object'.'Northing'

Latitude			'Stake Object'.'Latitude'
Longitude			'Stake Object'.'Longitude'
Latitude WGS84			'Stake Object'.'Latitude WGS84'
Longitude WGS84			'Stake Object'.'Longitude WGS84'
Easting				'Stake Object'.'Easting'
Northing			'Stake Object'.'Northing'

HTH

=Concat('Stake Object'.'Latitude', '- ', 'Stake Object'.'Longitude')  should get you both values in a single cell.

Ask again if you need more help.  

8 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Stake Objects have the following fields available.  Use the values from the second column in the database header of the worksheet.

Latitude    'Stake Object'.'Latitude' Longitude    'Stake Object'.'Longitude' Latitude WGS84    'Stake Object'.'Latitude WGS84' Longitude WGS84    'Stake Object'.'Longitude WGS84' Easting    'Stake Object'.'Easting' Northing    'Stake Object'.'Northing'

Latitude			'Stake Object'.'Latitude'
Longitude			'Stake Object'.'Longitude'
Latitude WGS84			'Stake Object'.'Latitude WGS84'
Longitude WGS84			'Stake Object'.'Longitude WGS84'
Easting				'Stake Object'.'Easting'
Northing			'Stake Object'.'Northing'

HTH

=Concat('Stake Object'.'Latitude', '- ', 'Stake Object'.'Longitude')  should get you both values in a single cell.

Ask again if you need more help.  

Can I only get coordinates from a stake object or can I use this method to get the coordinates of an object (a custom symbol)?

I believe that only the Stake object (and maybe some other landscape tools) do the calculation to get the Long/Lat.

If you know the Long/Lat of your 0,0 point in the file, you can do the math to calculate the relative Long/Lat of any point based on the offset from Zero.  

The following link has a formula to calculate the Lat/Long for a point a given distance and angle from a known point. Using the X/Y values you should be able to calculate the distance/angle and then the Lat/Long for any point.

https://www.igismap.com/formula-to-find-bearing-or-heading-angle-between-two-points-latitude-longitude/