Detail callout tool issue

Question

I've got a new file and I tried to make a detailed callout.

• I used the tool to drag a callout box around the area I want in the design layer I'm working on.
  • I selected the detail callout 
  • In the OIP I hit the "create detail viewport" button
  • instead of giving me the normal viewport menu I'm getting this message - "please select an object on the screen or layer plane to serve as the crop boundary for a detail viewport".

I've tried reselecting the callout tool object to no use.

image.thumb.png.8829c73e7812dae43f58c053be3328fe.png

As you can see the detail callout object is selected already.

To make sure I'm not misremembering how to use this tool I created a blank file, made a couple of shapes and used the detail callout tool.

It worked as expected and opened the create detail viewport menu as expected.

thoughts?

3 answers to this question

If I use the Detail Callout Tool I get the same results as you. If I draw a shape then run View > Create Detail Viewport... it works. But I never do this on a design layer anyway, always within a VP annotations. I'm interested why you want the detail callout on your design layer

@Tom W.I do normally put them in my site plan viewport to reference a 1/4 detail for a materials or layout sheet.

In this instance the client wanted something quick to get to his contractor and I haven't set up my sheets yet.

I just wanted to make a quick design development sheet.

Should have just gone with a normal viewport - haven't had enough coffee thins morning I guess!

It just messed with my head that it won't work in this file - but works fine in a new blank file....

Edited by hollister design Studio
  • Like 1

I found that in an existing file, when I drew the detail callout, it created on a 3d plan. If I changed to Layer plane, I was then able to "create detail callout".

When I created the detail callout in a new black file, I t created on a layer plane, and worked as expected.

Mat

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 9.01.23 AM.jpg

• Like 1